New York City Becomes First City in the World to Fly All Nine Starwood Brand Flags
Starwood Hotels set to Reach 25 Hotels in New York City by 2014
NEW YORK, Jun 07, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- From the 33rd Annual NYU International Hospitality Conference, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) today announced, that New York City is the first, and only, city in the world to boast all nine of Starwood's distinctive, global brands. The global hospitality company is set to reach 25 hotels in New York City by 2014. Starwood has the largest portfolio of four and five star hotels in the five boroughs of New York City where it plans to open another four hotels by 2014 including Aloft Brooklyn, an Aloft and Four Points by Sheraton in the financial district, and the second Westin in New York City.
"We are delighted to give travelers the option of staying with any one of our nine world-class brands in New York City, following the recent opening of our first Luxury Collection hotel in this global gateway city," said Simon Turner, President of Global Development for Starwood Hotels. "New York City is emblematic of Starwood's growth trajectory around the world. Owners and developers are increasingly turning to Starwood for the diversity of our nine brands and the collective strength of the Starwood system."
- The Luxury Collectionbrand made its landmark entry in New York City in May with the opening of The Chatwal New York, A Luxury Collection Hotel. Following that opening, New York City became the only city in the world where Starwood operates all nine of its brands. The Luxury Collection boasts a portfolio of 78 of the world's finest hotels and resorts in 30 countries. The conversion friendly brand will open nine new hotels in the next two years and most recently welcomed The Liberty Hotel, Boston and Al Maha, Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai to the portfolio.
- W Hotels recently opened its fourth hotel in New York City - W New York - Downtown - at the heart of the city's bustling financial district. Since the brand was first launched in New York City 12 years ago, the New York phenomenon has evolved into a global powerhouse with 41 hotels and retreats all over the world. The industry innovator is on track to reach 50 hotels by 2013, with new hotels in development in Paris, St. Petersburg, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Abu Dhabi, and Bangkok.
- Sheraton, Starwood's largest and most global brand, boasts five hotels in New York City. The Sheraton portfolio includes 400 hotels in 70 countries, with another 65+ hotels slated to open by 2015. Starwood has spent the last few years renovating and rebuilding one of the hotel industry's most iconic brands and Sheraton now stands stronger than ever with the strongest portfolio in its history. The brand is gaining market share, RevPAR continues to rise, guest satisfaction scores are the highest in the brand's history and likelihood to return, likelihood to recommend and meeting planner and associate engagement scores are also at all-time highs - signaling that guests are taking notice and rediscovering the new Sheraton.
- Known worldwide for its distinctive wellness positioning, Westinhotels is poised to add a second hotel in New York City with the re-opening of The New York Helmsley hotel as a Westin in 2012. Offering 179 hotels and resorts in over 36 countries and territories, Westin is growing aggressively in diverse international markets. The brand plans to add an additional 31 hotels by 2016, 90% of which will open outside the United States.
- Four Points by Sheraton hotels will open its fifth New York City hotel in 2013 - Four Points by Sheraton Financial District. The new Four Points will offer yet another popular neighborhood to the brand's current line-up of hotels in SoHo, Chelsea, Midtown and Long Island City, Queens. Four Points opened its 150th hotel in 2010, solidifying its place as Starwood's third largest brand with the second-biggest global pipeline: Four Points has 38 new hotels set to open by 2014.
- Aloft Hotels will increase its New York City portfolio to three hotels when it opens Aloft Manhattan Downtown Financial District in 2014. Starwood's style-at-a-steal Aloft brand debuted in New York City just last year with the opening of Aloft Harlem - the first hotel from a major brand to open in the neighborhood in a century. Launched in 2008, Aloft is a strong performer in emerging international markets. The brand is on the verge of opening its 50th hotel worldwide and has another 28 in development.
- Starwood also debuted its eco-chic Element brand in New York City last year when it opened Element New York Times Square West. Designed to be "green from the ground up," Element is the first major hotel brand to mandate all its properties pursue LEED certification. The brand's current portfolio of nine hotels will continue to growth with new hotels opening in Miami, Florida; Irvine, California; and Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Since the first St. Regis hotel debuted in New York City in 1904, the global luxury brand has grown its portfolio to 22 hotels and plans to open 15 new hotels and resorts in vibrant gateway cities and resorts destinations including Bangkok, Florence, Tianjin, Doha and Abu Dhabi.
- Le Méridien brand has one hotel in New York City and another 98 around the world. With close to 80 of its properties located in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia-Pacific, Le Méridien provides an international complement to Starwood's strong North American portfolio.
About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with 1051 properties in 100 countries and territories with 145,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood Hotels is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis(R), The Luxury Collection(R), W(R), Westin(R), Le Méridien(R), Sheraton(R), Four Points(R) by Sheraton, and the recently launched Aloft(R), and Element SM. The company boasts one of the industry's leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood Hotels also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.
(Note: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of federal securities regulations. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance or events and involve risks and uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results or events to differ materially from those anticipated at the time the forward-looking statements are made. These risks and uncertainties are presented in detail in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Although we believe the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based upon reasonable assumptions, we can give no assurance that our expectations will be attained or that results and events will not materially differ. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.) The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.