There's a Payoff for Home-based Franchising
As we examined last time, home-based franchising can be a great business model, but it's not for everyone. Working from home takes an organized self-starter who can get the job done despite what's going on around them. But for those who are self-motivated, can multi-task, and can balance working and living in their home, the benefits of a home-based franchise can add up to big success.
The choices for home-based franchising are varied and wide - and seemingly growing more by the week. These days there are all kinds of home-based franchise opportunities. Just a few examples include home decorating, home repair, home cleaning, healthcare, as well as a number of pet services. Most of these home-based franchises typically require a lower investment and often offer a more specialized service than their retail and commercial kin.
So if you've decided you have what it takes to operate a home-based franchise business, then you can expect some payoffs. Here's a review of the benefits that choosing and operating a home-based franchise can offer:
- Lower Investment: There's no building or facility to lease and generally not much equipment or supplies to purchase. The result is a lower total investment cost right off the bat. Some franchise brands even allow you to "outgrow" your home base and expand into commercial property, adding staff and building the business should you so desire.
- Quick Start: As you might expect, home-based franchises are typically easier and faster to get up and running. There's no new construction needed, no remodeling needed, and little if any equipment to procure. It's not much time from signing the franchise agreement to serving customers and generating revenue.
- Into the Black: Most home-based franchises not only have a lower upfront investment cost, but lower fixed and operating costs. All of this translates into a quicker cash flow break-even point. In other words, you can generally make money more quickly with a home-based franchise than you can with a traditional franchise location.
- Flexibility - This is one of the top attractions to a home-based franchise. Set your own schedule and manage your own time. If you have the right self-motivated drive, you can be your own boss and manage yourself right into a successful home-based business opportunity. Some franchise brands even allow franchisees to start out part-time and work their way into becoming a full-time franchisee. This is great for stay-at-home moms or others who are looking to transition out of their current career.
- Relational business - Oftentimes, home-based franchising lends itself to a very personal and relationship-driven business. For example, you really get to know a person when you are in their home and helping them redecorate or choose new window coverings. Subsequently, these relationships helps drive word-of-mouth referrals to you.
- Basic franchising benefits - Whether it's a proven system that works, support and training to back it up, or cost-reduced purchasing power, the franchising business model offers many advantages to someone looking for a home-based business.
If home-based franchising looks like a perfect match to you, do your homework, visit with some different brands, ask lots of questions, and make the move. You could be on your way to running a thriving franchise business from your own home.