Mac Tools was founded in 1938 as the Mechanics Tool and Forge
Company by seven men with the common goal to manufacture the finest tools in the world. The first step toward their goal was taken on July 11, 1938, when they signed the Articles of Incorporation, and were officially recognized by the state of Ohio. The state issued 250 shares of no par common stock, of which these men could only afford to subscribe to 55 shares.
Nonetheless, they persevered, and elected Ralph McPherson and Otto Tucker as the first President and Secretary of the organization. These two men scraped up all available capital, a paltry $5,000, to secure a building and buy used machinery so they could begin production.
WWII Brings Growth...
World War II brought prosperity to the Mechanics Tool and Forge Company because of the sizeable government contract received in 1942. In 1944, they recapitalized with the help of the Securities Commission.
Shortly after their capital investment, the company received a proposal from Clem Poole, concerning the opening of a socket division. Though they recognized the need to introduce sockets into their product line, they did not have the means to finance the opening of the division because of their recent investment.
Enter Clinton Tools
The management of Mechanics Tool and Forge decided to open a new, associate company with virtually the same stockholders, rather than expanding the existing product line. On October 30, 1944, the Clinton Tool Company was born. With Clem Poole as its president, Clinton operated in the same building as Mechanics Tool and Forge and is the lineage from which the present day line of sockets and accessories hail.
In 1945, Russ Darrah, a 20-year veteran of the hand tool industry, presented Mechanics Tool and Forge with a program designed to purchase an allied line of tools. This resulted in the formation of Mac Allied Tools which was moved to Akron, OH to facilitate shipping. Even though there were three companies functioning as one, their collective product was always referred to as "Mac Tools."
The 60s and Beyond
1961 launched the companies into the modern era, when Mechanics Tool and Forge officially changed its name to Mac Tools in 1963, leaving the association between Mac Tools and Mac Allied under the collective banner of Mac Tools, Inc. In 1979, the long association between Mac and Mac Allied severed.
Today, Mac Tools has a product line in excess of 42,000 items, and still uses the direct sales approach with a mobile sales force of distributors. The Mac Tools philosophy of excellent quality, price and service remains unchanged over the years, and the company spirit that made them successful in 1938, is the same spirit that makes them a leader in the automotive tool and equipment business today.
This web page does not constitute a franchise offering or an offer to sell a franchise. A franchise offering can be made by us only in a state if we are first registered, excluded, exempted or otherwise qualified to offer franchises in that state, and only if we provide you with an appropriate franchise disclosure document.