WACO, Texas – Help save the environment while keeping cool. Running your home's AC unit this summer will not only keep you comfortable, but it can also help save the environment if it contains the latest friendly refrigerant.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, most air conditioners use refrigerant R-22, which adds to the problem of global climate change. So, when it comes time to decide how to replace your outdated air conditioning unit this summer, select one that uses eco-friendly R-410A.
R-410A is a new environmentally safe liquid coolant that makes air conditioning possible. It was developed as an alternative to R-22, also known as Freon, which will be phased out in the near future along with other ozone depleting chemicals.
"R-410A is economically and environmentally beneficial, which makes it a smart choice for future air conditioning units," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. "If someone is considering a new air conditioning system today, they should think about switching over to R-410A to help avoid future costs associated with servicing the old R-22 systems."
As of January 2010, R-22 will only be allowed for use in servicing existing equipment, not in the production of new equipment. Furthermore, as of January 1, 2020, chemical manufacturers will no longer be able to produce R-22 at all, leaving consumers with no choice but to look to alternatives.
Additional benefits of installing an R-410A unit:
• R-410A uses a synthetic lubricant that is more soluble so it can mix and circulate more efficiently to keep the compressor and other moving parts lubricated, reducing wear and extending their life.
• It also incorporates smaller, heavier duty "scroll-type" compressors that are quieter and operate with less damaging vibration than older compressors which operate on R-22.
• In addition, compressors with R-410A run cooler, reducing the risk of burnout due to overheating.
• Economically beneficial, it allows higher heat transfer than R-22, which results in a more efficient operation.
• R-410A does not contain chlorine, therefore it is not damaging to the ozone layer.
• The price of current AC unit repairs may increase as R-22 supplies dwindle over the next 20 years.
Although R-410A units are more expensive than units that run on R-22, tax refunds may be available for buying the energy efficient product. The extra money you spend investing on these new systems, the more you are investing in your future.
About Aire Serv®: Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 140 locations worldwide. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc.
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems.