We have a question for you. What determines the success of a franchise? Is it luck? Coincidence? Why was Kona Ice ranked #1 New Franchise in Entrepreneur Magazine or even more importantly, Highest in Franchisee Satisfaction by TWO separate agencies? We think we might know why. Not every idea is franchise-worthy. Not everyone can offer the support. So why are some concepts instantly successful and others just aren't?
Here at Kona Ice, we know why we've succeeded and reached these ranks of the #1 New Franchise (Entrepreneur Magazine 2013), top in Franchisee Satisfaction (Franchise Business Review and Franchise Update), and named one of the fastest growing franchises in the country right behind McDonald's (Entrepreneur Magazine). We don't think it's luck at all. It's the combination of a fresh concept, strong corporate support with a vision, and a desire to make the world a better place.
So you may be knee deep in the franchising process with tons of questions, but we have just one for you. Why not join Kona Ice?
5 Reasons Why Kona Ice Is Different
- Fixed Royalty: No penalties for succeeding.
- Extremely Quick Startup: We'll have you up and running in 30-60 days.
- Incredibly Low Overhead: Approx. 6% food cost in an industry with an average of 32%.
- Proprietary Nutritional Product: A product that can only be found at Kona Ice that's meeting all of the federal nutritional standards.
- Community Involvement: With over $25 million given back, our communities have embraced us as the best fundraising tool.
Corporate Support & Marketing
At Kona Ice, we believe you should go into business for yourself, but not by yourself.
Quick & Easy Startup
We pride ourselves on our franchising process. When you decide you want to start your own business, we understand that you don't want to wait years to make that dream become a reality. We can guarantee that we'll have you in business, generating revenue within 21-60 days of your deposit.
Your Kona Ice journey begins with an all expense paid trip to the training program at the Kona Corporate Headquarters. You'll gain firsthand knowledge in the following:
- Marketing strategies from our corporate marketing team & veteran franchisees
- Day-to-day operations from one of the largest franchises, which is housed at corporate
- Meet your support staff
- Initial setup of your business & social media marketing
- No holds barred Q&A with the owner & CEO, Tony Lamb
Kona Ice has a full time marketing team of graphic designers, digital marketers, copywriters and videographers. You focus on building your contact database, as corporate provides:
- Professionally designed email advertising to targeted markets
- Slick and creative direct mail and leave-behind materials to close sales
- Kona-branded giveaways and merchandise to promote the brand
- Individual mini websites for franchisees as part of our Find A Kona feature
- Social media assistance accompanied by daily posts and yearly campaigns
- Corporate website that speaks to all areas of the Kona business
- Dedicated web developers who manage website SEO & a massive national Google Ad Words campaign
Everyone's favorite feature of the Kona Ice truck is the ability to load up on tropical flavors to their heart's content. In a day and age where self-serve dessert is all the rage, Kona has taken that step for the mobile shaved ice industry with our patented FLAVORWAVE.
Additional Kona Support
- Continued technology and standards training
- Annual Kona Konvention
- Veteran franchisee coaching & mentoring
- Online forum where franchisees share ideas & techniques
- On demand support for day to day operations
- Custom signage for your KEV
- Dedicated PR company constantly pushing to get you local press
Meet KEV: The Kona Entertainment Vehicle
Having built 575 of these wonderful trucks, Kona Ice has perfected the KEV.
- Drives in anywhere, anytime, fully equipped to serve thousands per day
- Tropical music rocks from the BOSE enhanced sound system
- First mobile food truck to be completely NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) approved
- Proven successful in over 350 markets
Incredibly Low Overhead
- Average of 6% food cost
- No real estate expenses
- Single person operation per unit
- Fully contained & completely mobile
- Large, protected territories
- No forced expansion
- Territory assigned by zip code(s)
- Promotes working partnerships with neighboring franchisees
One Of A Kind Experience
Kona doesn't just sell gourmet shaved ice, it brings an unforgettable experience that appeals to the kid in all of us!
- Schools reward students with regular Kona visits
- Sports teams and leagues invite Kona to the ballpark whenever there's a crowd
- Businesses book Kona as a special treat for employees
- Birthday parties, church festivals, block parties and company picnics can all benefit from the Kona Ice experience
- We're mobile, so really, we can be just about anywhere!
Nutritious & Delicious
Kona Ice is redefining dessert, by creating a nutritious and delicious treat. We have partnered with international flavor houses and worked with flavor scientists tirelessly to procure proprietary blends that meet all the current nutrition guidelines.
- All natural sweeteners
- Reduced sugar & calories
- No high fructose corn syrup
- Smart Snack approved
- BRAND NEW vitamin-fortified flavors: VitaBlend (stevia + vitamins C & D) & Performance Blend (stevia + B vitamins & vitamin D)
- 100% juice product
- Sugar free & dye free flavors available
We're not just a shaved ice truck - we have units of every size for any venue. Once you own a Kona truck, you will have access to:
- The Kona Mini: The most popular ancillary unit is a smaller, more agile version of the KEV. It's designed for indoor events and smaller outdoor venues.
- The Kona Trailer: Sometimes you only need the back half of the KEV - and that's exactly what you'll get with the Kona Trailer.
- The Kona Kiosk: Coming in 2015, we've got a brand new Kona Kiosk hitting the streets. With a body that looks like a smaller truck, you'll be sure to attract plenty of attention at any large venue with this piece of equipment.
Kona Gives Back
Ever wonder if you're making a difference? With Kona Ice, you'll see it happening right before your very eyes. With over $25 million dollars given back to local communities all across the country, Kona Ice is defined by our community involvement. Because we're a mobile franchise, this allows you to be directly involved in your community at every touch point.
Ranked the #1 New Franchise by Entrepreneur Magazine in 2013 and Highest in Franchisee Satisfaction in 2014 by Franchise Business Review & Franchise Update, Kona Ice's reputation is proclaimed as being one of the most innovative brands and "be your own boss" businesses around. Kona Ice is thriving all across the map - from New Hampshire to California. And as of 2014, it's now proven to work in 3 international markets as well. It's a success for the customers and also for the franchisees!
Investment & Financing
Low Cost Investment
- $15,000 - $30,000 cost investment
- Fixed royalty - a fraction of industry standard
- No paralyzing build out costs
For more information and to hear from over 30 franchisees, visit us at ownakona.com.
This web page does not constitute a franchise offering or an offer to sell a franchise. A franchise offering can be made by us only in a state if we are first registered, excluded, exempted or otherwise qualified to offer franchises in that state, and only if we provide you with an appropriate franchise disclosure document.
We have a question for you! What determines the success of a franchise? Is it luck? Coincidence? Why was Kona Ice ranked #1 Overall Franchise in Entrepreneur Magazine or even more importantly, Highest in Franchisee Satisfaction by TWO separate...
Looking for more information about Kona Ice? Take a moment to fill out our quick information request form.
"The surprise with Kona is that it branded immediately. The kids were happy, the community is happy and of course, being a franchise owner, that makes you ecstatic."
"Thank you for dreaming this up, making it work, and offering it up to us lucky franchisees. Thank you for being there to solve problems, soothe fears and encourage innovations. Thank you for being family - people you can count on no matter what. I know that I can present any issue or idea and be taken seriously and compassionately...You will dream with me until we get to the next level."