Updated and Effective as of May 23, 2018
- Information We Automatically Collect
- Cookies/Tracking Policy
- Information You Submit
- Information We Receive From Other Sources
- Information Use
- Social Integration
- Information Sharing
- Anonymous Data
- Public Information
- International Consent To Transfer
- California Privacy Rights
- Do Not Track DNT Signals
- Opt-Out Of Communications
- Personal Data Retention
- Children's Policy
- Sensitive Personal Data
- Contact Us
We will only process your Personal Data in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws. For the purposes of UK and EU data protection legislation, the data controller is Franchise Update Media of 6489 Camden Ave. Suite 204, San Jose CA 95120 USA.
Information We Automatically Collect
We and our third-party service providers use such Usage Data for a variety of purposes including to diagnose problems with our servers and software, to administer Franchising.com, to gather demographic information and to target advertising to you on Franchising.com and elsewhere online. Accordingly, our third-party advertising networks and ad servers will also provide us with information, including reports that will tell us how many ads were presented and clicked on Franchising.com in a manner that does not identify personally any specific individual. The Usage Data we collect is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we will treat it as Personal Data.
We use tracking technologies, such as cookies, local storage, and pixel tags.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
For almost any modern website to work properly, it needs to collect certain basic information on its users. To do this, a site will create files known as cookies – which are small text files – on its users’ computers and other devices. These cookies are designed to allow Franchising.com to recognize its users on subsequent visits, or to authorize other designated websites to recognize these users for a particular purpose.
Cookies do a lot of different jobs which make your experience of the Internet much smoother and more interactive. For instance, they are used to remember your preferences on sites you visit often, to remember your user ID and the contents of your shopping baskets, and to help you navigate between pages more efficiently. They also help ensure that the advertisements that you see online are more relevant to you and your interests. Some data collected is designed to detect browsing patterns and approximate geographical location to improve user experience.
Some websites may also contain images called "web beacons" (also known as "clear gifs"). Web beacons only collect limited information, including a cookie number, a timestamp, and a record of the page on which they are placed. Websites may also carry web beacons placed by third party advertisers. These beacons do not carry any personally identifiable information and are only used to track the effectiveness of a particular campaign (for example by counting the number of visitors).
Information collected by cookies is now classed as personal data.
We collect a number of cookies from our users for various reasons, not least to track our own performance – but also to let us serve you content tailored to your own specifications, hopefully improving your overall experience of Franchising.com. Amongst other things, the cookies we use allow users to register to make comments, allow us to calculate how many visitors we have and how long they stay on our site.
We believe that your experience of the site would be adversely affected if you opted out of the cookies we use.
WHAT TYPES OF COOKIE ARE THERE AND WHICH ONES DO WE USE?
There are two types of cookie:
- Persistent cookies remain on a user’s device for a set period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that the user visits the website that created that particular cookie.
- Session cookies are temporary. They allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
Cookies also have, broadly speaking, four different functions and can be categorized as follow: ‘strictly necessary’ cookies, ‘performance’ cookies, ‘functionality’ cookies and ‘targeting’ or ‘advertising’ cookies.
Strictly necessary cookies are essential to navigate around a website and use its features. Without them, you wouldn’t be able to use basic services like registration or shopping baskets. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you’ve been on the internet.
Examples of how we use ‘strictly necessary’ cookies include:
- Setting unique identifiers for each unique visitor, so site numbers can be analysed.
- Allowing you to sign in to the Franchising.com website as a registered user.
Performance cookies collect data for statistical purposes on how visitors use a website, they don’t contain personal information such as names and email addresses, and are used to improve your user experience of a website.
Here are some examples of how we use performance cookies:
- Gathering data about visits to the website, including numbers of visitors and visits, length of time spent on the site, pages clicked on or where visitors have come from.
- For comparison with other websites using data collected by industry-accepted measurement and research companies.
Information supplied by performance cookies helps us to understand how you use the website; for example, whether or not you have visited before, what you looked at or clicked on and how you found us. We can then use this data to help improve our services. We generally use independent analytics companies to perform these services for us and when this is the case, these cookies may be set by a third party company (third party cookies).
If you have registered with the website we can combine the data from the web analytics services and their cookies with the information you have supplied to us, so that we can make your experience more personal by recommending certain articles to you based on your reading behavior or tailoring your emails with content you might find more interesting. We would only do this if you have given us permission to communicate with you. Sometimes the data used from the web analytics companies has been collected before you registered or signed in. In these cases, if we use this data to identify you, we use it only in accordance with our privacy notice.
Functionality cookies allow users to customize how a website looks for them: they can remember usernames, language preferences and regions, and can be used to provide more personal services like local weather reports and traffic news.
Here are some examples of how we use functionality cookies:
- Storing your user preferences on Your Account page
- Remembering if you’ve been to the site before so that messages intended for first-time users are not displayed to you.
Advertising and targeting cookies are used to deliver advertisements more relevant to you, but can also limit the number of times you see an advertisement, and be used to chart the effectiveness of an ad campaign by tracking users’ clicks. They can also provide security in transactions. They are usually placed by third-party advertising networks with a website operator’s permission, but can be placed by the operator themselves. They can remember that you have visited a website, and this information can be shared with other organisations, including other advertisers. They cannot determine who you are though, as the data collected is never linked to your profile.
The two main ways we use advertising and targeting cookies are set out below:
- Interest-based advertising (or online behavioral advertising) is where cookies are placed on your device by our third party service providers which remember your web browsing activity and group together your interests in order to provide you with targeted advertisements which are more relevant to you when you visit Franchising.com. Your previous web browsing activity can also be used to infer things about you, such as your demographics (age, gender etc.). This information may also be used to make the advertising on Franchising.com more relevant to you.
- ‘Retargeting’ is a form of interest-based advertising that enables our advertising partners to show you advertisements selected based on your online browsing activity away from the website. This allows companies to advertise to people who previously visited their website. These cookies will usually be placed on your device by third-party advertising networks and we have listed the main third party networks we work with below.
Without these cookies, online advertisements you encounter will be less relevant to you and your interests.
HOW DO I CONTROL MY COOKIES?
You should be aware that any preferences will be lost if you delete all cookies and many websites will not work properly or you will lose some functionality. We do not recommend turning cookies off when using our website for these reasons.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can alter the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer. Generally you have the option to see what cookies you’ve got and delete them individually, block third party cookies or cookies from particular sites, accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is issued or reject all cookies. Visit the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu on your browser to change settings, and check the following links for more browser-specific information.
ENABLING THE DO NOT TRACK (DNT) WEB BROWSER FEATURE
We instead suggest using the Do Not Track (DNT) feature built into your web browser. Franchising.com honors DNT requests and will not track anyone who has this setting toggled to an on state. You can learn more about the DNT feature in your browser by visiting: https://allaboutdnt.com/
MANAGING PERFORMANCE COOKIES
It is possible to opt out of having your anonymised browsing activity within websites recorded by performance cookies.
Franchising.com uses the following companies and you can opt out of their cookies by clicking on the relevant links. Please note that this will take you to the relevant third party’s website and generate a ‘no thanks’ cookie, which will stop any further cookies being set by those third parties.
Don’t forget that by not allowing performance cookies, this stops us from being able to learn what people like or don’t like about our website so that we can make it better.
Google Analytics: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
MANAGING ADVERTISING COOKIES
Please note that if you want to opt out from receiving targeted advertising, this does not mean that you will receive less advertising when you use our website. This just means that the advertising you see will not be as customised to you.
You can visit the Internet Advertising Bureau’s consumer advice site, http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices. This will give you a list of all cookies that are currently set on your device and how to opt out of each of them. Please note that this list will contain more networks than just found on Franchising.com.
We have also set out links below to some of the specific partners we work with who set cookies on our websites, and therefore on your computer, each of which have instructions on how to opt out of their cookies.
Information You Choose To Submit
Information We Receive From Other Sources
We use the information we collect, including Personal Data and Usage Data:
- to enable you to use our Services, to create an account or profile, to process information you provide via our Services (including verifying that your email address is active and valid) and to process your transactions;
- to provide related customer service and care, including responding to your questions, complaints, or comments and sending surveys (with your consent) and processing survey responses;
- to provide you with information, products, or services that you have requested;
- to receive and process job applications for jobs with us;
- with your consent, to provide you with information, products, or services that we otherwise believe will interest you, including special opportunities from us and our third-party partners;
- to tailor content, recommendations, and advertisements we and third parties display to you, both on Franchising.com and elsewhere online;
- for internal business purposes, such as to improve our Services;
- to administer and process contests, sweepstakes, and promotions;
- to comply with regulatory and legal obligations; and
Social Network and Platform Integration
Our Information Sharing Practice
- (a) Generally. We share Non-Personal Data, including Usage Data, de-identified Personal Data and aggregated user statistics, with third parties in our discretion. We share User Information, including Personal Data, as otherwise described in this Policy, and under the following circumstances:
When we use the term "anonymous data," we are referring to data and information that does not permit you to be identified or identifiable, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third-party. We may create anonymous data from the Personal Data we receive about you and other individuals whose Personal Data we collect. Anonymous data will include analytics information and information collected by us using cookies. We make Personal Data into anonymous data by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data to analyze usage patterns in order to make improvements to our Services.
If you identify any User Information as public, you are authorizing us to share such information publicly. For example, you can elect to make certain of your User Submissions (such as your alias, bio, email or photos) publicly available. Also, there are areas of Franchising.com (for example, message boards, discussion rooms, and other online forums) in which you are able to post information that automatically will be available to all other users of Franchising.com. By choosing to use these areas, you understand and agree that anyone can access, use, and disclose any information that you post to those areas.
Users Outside of the United States and Consent to Transfer
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident and you have questions about our practices with respect to sharing information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes and your ability to exercise choice, please contact us at Franchise Update Media of 6489 Camden Ave. Suite 204, San Jose CA 95120 USA. You must put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the body of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. In the body of your request, please provide enough information for us to determine if this applies to you. Please note that we will not accept inquiries via the telephone, email, or by facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labelled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
How We Respond to "Do Not Track (DNT)" Signals
Internet browsers can be configured to send "Do Not Track" signals to the online services that you visit. California Business & Professions Code Section 22575(b) (as amended effective January 1, 2014) provides that California residents are entitled to know how Franchising.com responds to "Do Not Track" browser settings.
Franchising.com proudly supports the DNT feature of most web browsers and will disable it's marketing, social, and statistical tracking when the Do Not Track feature is active. To find out more about "Do Not Track," please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
- (a) Generally. We use other companies under agreements with us to serve third-party advertisements when you visit and use Franchising.com. These companies collect and use click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over during your visits to Franchising.com and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use tracking technologies to collect this information. Other companies' use of their tracking technologies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one.
- (b) Targeted Advertising. In order to serve offers and advertisements that may be of interest to our users, we display targeted advertisements on Franchising.com, or other digital properties or applications in conjunction with our content, based on information provided to us by our users and information provided to us by third parties that they have independently collected. We do not provide Personal Data to our advertisers when you interact with an advertisement.
- (c) Your Ad Choices. Some of the third-party services providers and/or Advertisers may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") or the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. You can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, which provides information regarding targeted advertising and the "opt-out" procedures of NAI members. You can opt-out of our use of your Web site viewing behavior data to serve you interest-based advertising on third-party sites and email newsletters here http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
- If you are accessing Franchising.com through an application (i.e., mobile phone or tablet) you can download the AppChoices application from your device's application store (i.e., Google Play, Apple App Store, and Amazon Store). This DAA application allows participating companies to offer an opt-out of customized advertisements that are based on predictions about your interests generated from your application usage. For more information, visit http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
- Please note opting out through these mechanisms does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads while online or on your device.
Choice/Opt-Out From Communications
We offer you the opportunity to manage your communications from us. Even after subscribing to one or more newsletters and/or opting in to one or more offers to receive marketing and/or promotional communications from us or our third-party partners, users may elect to modify their preferences by logging into their Franchising.com Account going to their "User Settings" page anytime , visiting the "Subscription Management" page, or by simply clicking the "Unsubscribe" link provided in an email or communication received.
Retaining, Modifying and Deleting Your Personal Data
You may access the information we hold about you. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact us using the details in the Contact Us section below. If you would like to update, correct, modify or delete from our database any Personal Data you previously submitted to us, please let us know by accessing and updating your profile. If you delete certain information you may not be able to order services in the future without re-submitting such information. We will comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Also, please note that we will maintain Personal Data in our database whenever we are required to do so by law.
Please note that we need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion (for example, when you enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Data provided until after the completion of such promotion). We will retain your Personal Data for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
We have implemented commercially reasonable and appropriate technical and organizational security measures to help protect your Personal Data from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, misuse, or unauthorized access or disclosure; unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your User Information, we cannot guarantee its security. You use Franchising.com and provide us with information at your own initiative and risk. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Franchising.com contain links to other websites that we do not control, and they contain videos, advertising and other content hosted and served by third parties. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any third-party.
Franchising.com are intended for a general audience and are not intended for and should not be used by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and we do not target Franchising.com to children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us using the details in the Contact Us section below. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
Sensitive Personal Data
Subject to the following paragraph, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal data as this term is defined under applicable data protection and privacy laws (for example, social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through Franchising.com or otherwise to us.
Franchising.com | Franchise Update Media
P.O. Box 20547
San Jose, CA 95160