IFA To Launch Campaign To Recruit And Hire Veterans For Careers In Franchising
November 03, 2011 // Franchising.com // WASHINGTON, D.C. - On Thursday, Nov. 10, IFA President & CEO Steve Caldeira and franchise business leaders will launch "Operation Enduring Opportunity," an industry-wide recruitment campaign to offer returning veterans career paths in franchising, including increased employment opportunities and incentives for ownership of franchise businesses through the IFA's longstanding VetFran program, originally established in 1991.
The announcements, to take place at an event at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. headlined by First Lady Michelle Obama, and at veteran-owned franchise businesses throughout the country, will feature announcements about new veteran hiring and recruitment targets by franchise businesses, as the industry does its part to answer President Obama's call for the private sector to offer jobs and career opportunities to veterans, wounded warriors and their families through The White House Joining Forces Initiative.
Local events will be held at veteran-owned franchise businesses and industry suppliers in Atlanta, Ga. (Aaron's, TSS Photography and Foot Solutions), Colorado Springs, Colo. (Conspire!), Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (International Institute for Franchise Education at Nova Southeastern University), Houston, Tex. (FASTSIGNS), Jacksonville, Fla. (Tasti D-Lite), Minneapolis, Minn. (The Entrepreneur's Source, Waterfront Financial Group, Faegre & Benson and Rapid Refill, LLC), San Diego, Calif. (The UPS Store ® and TeamLogicIT) and Seattle, Wash. (Guidant Financial).
Veterans have a proven track record of success in franchising. According to a recent study based on U.S. Census data, there are more than 66,000 veteran-owned franchise establishments in the United States, providing jobs directly for 815,000 Americans. Responding now to veteran unemployment rates of 11.7 percent (22 percent for veterans under 25 years-old), IFA is launching "Operation Enduring Opportunity" to offer returning veterans career paths in franchising including employment and ownership on a broader scale.
Over 2,100 veterans have become franchise business owners through the IFA's VetFran program, established in 1991. Responding now to veteran unemployment rates of 11.7 percent (22 percent for veterans under 25 years-old), IFA is launching "Operation Enduring Opportunity" to offer returning veterans career paths in franchising including employment and ownership on a broader scale. For more information, visit www.vetfran.com.
The White House Joining Forces Initiative, led by First Lady Michelle Obama, is a comprehensive national initiative to mobilize all sectors of society to give our service members and their families the opportunities and support they have earned.
WHAT: Veteran Hiring Announcements by Franchise Businesses
- Steve Caldeira, President & CEO, International Franchise Association
- Dina Dwyer-Owens, Chairwoman and Chief Executive Officer The Dwyer Group, Past Chairwoman, International Franchise Association
- Jim Amos Chairman and CEO Tasti D-Lite LLC, Past Chairman, International Franchise Association and former Maine Corps captain and veteran of two combat tours in Vietnam.
- Mary Kennedy Thompson, President of Mr. Rooter Corporation, Chair of the International Franchise Association's VetFran Committee, former Marine Corps major
- Stuart Mathis, President, The UPS Store
- Jack Earle, IFA Chairman and McDonald's multi-unit franchise
- Larry Conley, Senior Vice President and Specialty Finance Manager, JP Morgan Chase
- Lynn Ozer, Executive Vice President Group Relationship Manager, Commercial Lending, PA SBA Government Lending Susquehanna Bank
- Shilo Harris, SSG (RET), US Army, US Cavalry
WHERE: U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 1615 H Street NW, Washington, D.C.
Local events to be held in
- Atlanta, Ga. (Aaron's, TSS Photography and Foot Solutions)
- Colorado Springs, Colo. (Conspire!)
- Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (International Institute for Franchise Education at Nova Southeastern University)
- Houston, Tex. (FASTSIGNS)
- Jacksonville, Fla. (Tasti D-Lite)
- Minneapolis, Minn. (The Entrepreneur's Source, Waterfront Financial Group, Faegre & Benson and Rapid Refill, LLC)
- San Diego, Calif. (The UPS Store ®)
- Seattle, Wash. (Guidant Financial)
Exact locations and speakers to be finalized.
WHEN: November 10, 2001, 8:30 a.m.-12 noon
About the International Franchise Association
The International Franchise Association is the world's oldest and largest organization representing franchising worldwide. Celebrating over 50 years of excellence, education and advocacy, IFA works through its government relations, media relations and educational programs to protect, enhance and promote franchising. Through its media awareness campaign highlighting the theme, Franchising: Building Local Businesses, One Opportunity at a Time, IFA promotes the economic impact of the franchise industry, which supports nearly 18 million jobs and $2.1 trillion of economic output for the U.S. economy. IFA members include franchise companies in over 300 different business format categories, individual franchisees and companies that support the industry in marketing, law and business development.