Are You Eligible for a Home Energy Tax Credit?
March 07, 2008 // Franchising.com // WACO, Texas – Don't sweat this tax season. Homeowners may be able to receive a one-time income tax credit for home energy-efficient improvements.
Homeowners that installed high efficiency heating and cooling systems between Jan. 1, 2006 and Dec. 31, 2007 may benefit from an unfamiliar tax option saving them up to $500 in tax credits.
The tax credit applies to select energy-efficient home improvement installations. The rebates can be received from a variety of products including:
- Insulation systems that reduce heat loss or gain
- Metal roofs (must meet Energy Star requirements)
- Select heating and cooling equipment
- Natural gas furnaces or hot water heaters
- Exterior windows (includes skylights and storm windows)
- Solar panels or water heating systems
"Filing taxes can be a stressful and time consuming process. Homeowners might overlook some tax credits," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. "Not all manufacturers inform their customers about rebate opportunities, so it's important to be aware that you can receive money back from heating and cooling improvements."
Aire Serv offers the following tips this tax season:
- Go to the EnergyStar.gov Web site and look under the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to become aware of what home improvements are eligible for a tax credit.
- Look for the model numbers on your equipment to refer to qualifying standards.
- Visit your manufacturer's Web site; many have lists of models that apply and available forms necessary to submit to the IRS.
- Make sure you have a copy of the manufacturer's certification and receipts proving you purchased the improvements to qualify for the rebate.
About Aire Serv®:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 140 locations in the United States and Canada. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.aireserv.com.