Conserving Energy Starts at Home
Tips for Preserving Resources without Losing Comfort this Earth Day
April 21, 2008 // Franchising.com // WACO, Texas – As Earth Day nears, we are reminded of the importance of finding sustainable and environmentally friendly energy solutions for ourselves and future generations. One simple step you can make towards a more "green" home is with your air conditioning system.
"Even though Earth Day is an annual event, we can still be energy conscious year round," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. "Most air conditioning and heating systems consume more than half of a homes energy. By switching over to a new energy efficient system, families can cut their monthly usage of fossil fuel-generated electricity by up to one-third. That means saving money and helping the environment without sacrificing comfort." Rising utility and overall energy costs are concerns for most homeowners today. Fortunately, you can save money while being "greener" and stay comfortable.
Follow these suggestions from Aire Serv to create a more "green", energy efficient home:
- Install programmable thermostats that adjust the temperature when home or away. Why keep your house cool when nobody is home?
- Use high efficiency air filters to help your air conditioning system stay cleaner longer.
- Plant trees or shrubs to shade the air conditioning unit, but not so close that they block air flow.
- Have your professional air conditioning provider clean your units coils regularly - about every six months – to prevent dirt and dust build-up.
- Check the attic, crawl space or basement to make sure it's properly insulated.
- Look for a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) number on air conditioners if installing a new unit. Some units manufactured about 10 years ago were in the 10 SEER range while units today can go as high as 20 SEER or above. Going from a 10 to 20 SEER will cut your cooling costs in half.
- If installing a new HVAC unit, consider donation or recycling. A unit in working order can be donated and non-functioning pieces can be picked-up by your municipal solid waste agency or Steel Recycling Institute. Go to recycle-steel.org or visit earth911.org for more local options.
About Aire Serv®:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 140 locations in the United States and Canada. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.aireserv.com.