The Cool Side of Spring Cleaning
May 09, 2008 // Franchising.com // WACO, Texas – As the world outside springs back to life from lying dormant all winter, you need assurance that your home's cooling system is working and in good condition.
To recover from winter – and prepare for summer – devote some energy to spring cleaning your heating and cooling system. Proper up-keep can increase a system's efficiency and decrease electricity bills.
"Spring cleaning is the perfect time to ensure your air conditioner is working in tip-top shape," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. "A properly maintained unit will have increased efficiency and can decrease your energy bills because it's not working as hard to keep you comfortable."
Follow this simple Aire Serv to-do list to keep your heating and cooling systems in excellent condition:
- Clean or replace air filters to help your A/C unit run more efficiently.
- Open room vents – closing them can cause poor air flow. This can also cause the system to work harder and possibly even breakdown.
- Remove shrubs, grass and leaves from the condenser coil and within two feet of your outside unit.
- Install a programmable thermostat – it automatically changes the temperature when home or away.
- Inspect and caulk windows and doors annually where needed. This can help your system to maintain a more even temperature.
Homeowners can hire a professional technician to perform a tune-up on their air conditioner, which includes examining ductwork, checking the refrigerant level and tightening the wiring connections. This is also a good time to check your homes safety equipment to ensure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
About Aire Serv®:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 140 locations in the United States and Canada. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.aireserv.com.