Wendy's Kicks Off 15th High School Heisman
Award Program Seeks the Nation's Top Citizen-Scholar-Athletes
DUBLIN, Ohio, Sept. 18 // PRNewswire-FirstCall // -- The 2008 Wendy's(R) High School Heisman(R) (WHSH) race is on!
Celebrating its milestone 15th anniversary, Wendy's has begun the quest to find the next class of High School Heisman recipients -- students who excel in academics, athletics and community involvement. Through October 1, 2008, eligible seniors can submit applications online at http://www.WendysHeisman.com. Last year marked the first time in the program's history that the application process was put into the hands of the students and opened up to self nominations.
"Wendy's High School Heisman is more than just an award -- it's a lifestyle," said Archie Griffin, two-time collegiate Heisman Memorial Trophy winner. "The program is a stepping stone towards higher achievement in school and community leadership. With college admissions becoming more selective than ever, a national award of this caliber can really help a student stand out."
All eligible seniors may submit an application online through Oct. 1, 2008. The first 41,000 applicants will receive a free Wendy's gift card randomly valued from $5 to $50. From the completed applications, one male and one female winner will be chosen from each high school. The names of all applicants and school winners will be posted on the Wendy's High School Heisman Web site on Oct. 22, 2008. For more information, students can visit http://www.WendysHeisman.com, call (800) 205-6367 or contact their local high school principal, guidance counselor or athletic director.
The WHSH program, awarded in conjunction with the collegiate Heisman, is a joint program between Wendy's and the Heisman Memorial Trust (host of the College Heisman Memorial Trophy since 1935.) Created in 1994, WHSH has set the standard for high school student-athletes and gained tremendous prestige in its own right. To date, more than 180,000 high school students have represented their schools and been touched by the Heisman glory.
The program consists of six stages -- applicants, school winners, state finalists, state winners, national finalists and national winners. Entries initially will be evaluated by ACT, Inc. during the applicant, state finalist and state winner stages, then passed on to a panel of distinguished judges. Known for the ACT college entrance exam, ACT is a non profit organization offering educational measurement and research services.
Twelve national finalists will participate in Heisman Weekend festivities during an all-expenses-paid trip Dec. 12-14 to New York City. ESPN2 will feature all 12 national finalists during the Wendy's High School Heisman Awards Ceremony, which airs Dec. 14.
How to apply
- Applications can be completed online at http://www.WendysHeisman.com.
- Each applicant must provide an accurate email address of a school administrator who will log in to review the application and confirm its accuracy.
- ACT will judge all completed application forms.
- The names of all applicants and school winners will be posted on the Wendy's High School Heisman Web site on Oct. 22, 2008.
Who is eligible
- Students entering their senior year of high school (class of 2009)
- Students who maintain at least a "B" grade-point average and participate in at least one of 32 school-sponsored sports
- Applicants and school winners can download a printable certificate to commemorate accomplishment
- The first 41,000 applicants will receive a letter and free Wendy's gift card valued from $5 to $50 (randomly drawn)
- School winners will receive letter, certificate, Heisman patch and a $10 Wendy's gift card
- 20 students (10 male/10 female) from each state will be recognized as state finalists and receive a letter, bronze medal, a Heisman patch and a $25 Wendy's gift card
- 102 state winners (one male and one female from each state, and the District of Columbia) will be chosen from all state finalists and awarded a letter, silver medal, a Heisman patch and a $50 Wendy's gift card
- 12 national finalists (one male and one female from each of the six Heisman geographic regions) will be chosen from the state winners
- National finalists will receive a gold medal, Heisman patch, $100 gift card, a $2,000 cash award for their high school and will be invited to participate in the Heisman Weekend festivities in New York City from Dec. 12-14, 2008
- ESPN2 will feature all 12 national finalists during the Wendy's High School Heisman awards ceremony on Dec. 14
- One male and one female will be named the 2008 Wendy's High School Heisman national award winners during the awards ceremony in New York City
- Both winners will receive an additional $10,000 award to their respective high schools, a Wendy's High School Heisman trophy, Heisman patch and a $500 Wendy's gift card
Wendy's International, Inc. (NYSE: WEN) is one of the world's largest and most successful restaurant operating and franchising companies. More information about the company is available at http://www.wendys-invest.com.
The Wendy's name and design, and the Wendy's High School Heisman and design are trademarks of Oldemark LLC and are licensed to Wendy's International, Inc. The Heisman name and Heisman Trophy statuette are registered trademarks of the Heisman Trophy Trust, used with permission.
SOURCE Wendy's International, Inc.