November 24, 2008 // Franchising.com // Waco, Texas – Imagine a silent killer lurking in the shadows of your home – it's impossible to see, taste or smell, but carbon monoxide poisoning claims more than 500 Americans each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Since leaks are usually caused by poor installation, operation and maintenance of fuel-burning appliances or inadequate ventilation, homeowners should be wary of carbon monoxide seeping into their homes," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.
To be on the safe side, homeowners should have their gas appliances inspected by a professional before using them, so they know their equipment is safe and that their flue piping and venting is clear of obstructions.
To reduce carbon monoxide exposure this winter season, follow these suggestions by Aire Serv:
Be on the lookout for these warning signs that carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing heating, ventilation and air conditioning and repair services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500", Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 150 locations in the United States and Canada. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.aireserv.com.