Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: How to Silence the Silent Killer
November 24, 2008 // Franchising.com // Waco, Texas – Imagine a silent killer lurking in the shadows of your home – it's impossible to see, taste or smell, but carbon monoxide poisoning claims more than 500 Americans each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Since leaks are usually caused by poor installation, operation and maintenance of fuel-burning appliances or inadequate ventilation, homeowners should be wary of carbon monoxide seeping into their homes," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.
To be on the safe side, homeowners should have their gas appliances inspected by a professional before using them, so they know their equipment is safe and that their flue piping and venting is clear of obstructions.
To reduce carbon monoxide exposure this winter season, follow these suggestions by Aire Serv:
- Install a carbon monoxide detector
- Keep your air filters in your furnace cleaned – dirty filters restrict air flow and can cause added stress on the furnace's heat exchanger, the metal chamber that separates combustion gases from the air in your home
- Don't use a stove or fireplace that is not vented
- Never heat your house with a gas oven or range
- Don't warm your car up or keep it running inside a garage, even with the garage door open
- Have a trained service technician annually inspect your heating system, including chimney and vents
Be on the lookout for these warning signs that carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home:
- Gas flames that usually burn blue are burning orange or yellow instead
- Appliances have sooty stains on them
- Fires become difficult to light — the chimney may be blocked
- You develop these symptoms — headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue
About Aire Serv®:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing heating, ventilation and air conditioning and repair services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500", Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 150 locations in the United States and Canada. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.aireserv.com.