Tip Sheet: Celebrity Trainer, Ramona Braganza'S Tips To Keep Off Those Extra Holiday Pounds
November 25, 2008 // Franchising.com // Gold's Gym Fitness Institute Expert, Ramona Braganza offers tips to stay trim over the holidays. The celebrity trainer, who Jessica Alba, Halle Berry and Jessica Biel turn to for help to get in shape, shares her survival guide to making it through the gluttonous holiday feasting season without packing on the pounds.
Below are Ramona's tips to stay trim without forgoing all the holiday trimmings:
- Go Ahead and Snack! Eat a low-fat snack before you load your plate for dinner or head out to a holiday party. If you are extremely hungry right before your meal you tend to overeat and indulge in high-fat foods you may otherwise not.
- Get Moving - It's Not Too Late. Even if you haven't been on a consistent fitness regimen, it's not too late to start small. Start by adding 20 minutes of cardiovascular activity to your normal weekly routine about 3 times a week. A brisk walk, a 20 minute trek on a stationary bike…anything that will get your heart rate up and burn calories will work. This will increase your energy level and resting metabolic rate, which will burn off more calories while you're resting and make you less likely to binge on those tempting holiday cakes and cookies.
- Step It Up! If you're already in a consistent fitness routine, step your normal routine up a notch and you'll be able to indulge without the guilt! Try adding an additional 20-minute strength training routine to your normal workout or an extra 15 minutes to your typical cardio regime. You may also want to try adding an additional day to your routine with a group exercise class like Body Pump or Spinning.
- Do Your Chores. Shoveling snow, working in the garden, raking leaves, sweeping the floor...these kinds of activities may not be 'vigorous' exercise, but they can keep you moving while getting your house in order before your guests arrive.
- Choose Your Turkey Wisely. The next time somebody asks you if you would like white meat or dark meat, know how to make the wise calorie saving choice. White meat has 24 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving and half as much fat as dark meat. And a simple tip for reducing your calorie intake even more is to leave the skin behind.
- Keep Your Eye On The Pie. You don't have to pass on your slice of pie, but be wise about your choice. Go for the pumpkin pie, which has less calories than pecan pie
About Gold's Gym
Established in Venice, Calif. in 1965, Gold's Gym is the largest full service gym chain in the world with over 620 locations in 43 states and 30 countries. Gold's Gym offers the latest equipment and services, including group exercise, personal training, cardiovascular equipment, spinning, Pilates and yoga. With nearly 3 million members worldwide, Gold's Gym helps all kinds of people achieve their individual potential through fitness.