RadioShack Helps Consumers Stretch Holiday Budgets
National Retail Federation survey indicates individuals will spend $630 on gifts; RadioShack offers suggestions on how to give consumer electronics on a budget
December 15, 2008 // Franchising.com // Fort Worth, Texas -- The recent National Retail Federation's 2008 Holiday Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey says the average U.S. consumer plans to spend approximately $630 on holiday gifts this year. According to officials at RadioShack Corporation (NYSE: RSH), one of the nation's most trusted consumer electronics specialty retailers, customers who wish to spend at or under that budget can still find a wide array of affordable high-tech gifts to satisfy their family's wish lists.
"The big question this year is how a budget-minded shopper can stay within their means and still obtain the high-tech gifts that always rank high on everyone's wish lists?" said Peter Whitsett, RadioShack's executive vice president - merchandising. "While this may not be the year to purchase a $1,000-plus big-screen TV or that home theater system the family's been craving, a savvy shopper can still wrap up lots of practical and fun consumer electronics for their entire family and not break their budget."
Just how far can a shopper stretch a gift budget of $630 at their neighborhood RadioShack store or www.RadioShack.com? According to Whitsett, the following suggested gift items cover Mom, Dad, kids and even grandparents under that amount with ease. Also watch for special sales and offers, such as RadioShack's online and in-store "Wednesday's Deals" during December for additional affordable and fun gift ideas:
- Gift for Mom: Most Moms like to take lots of photos of family activities. A digital camera such as the Canon PowerShot 7.1MP and full-size photo Canon printer bundle for less than $170* allows mom to take great family pictures and print them out instantly to share with family and friends. This camera features motion detection and image stabilization, which are key to capturing candid shots of children and pets. Also, because it hooks directly to the printer you can bypass the PC when outputting photos. Add a desktop digital picture frame for as little as little as $40* and Mom can take, print or view her pictures anytime she wants.
- Gift for Dad: Dads love to drive, but most of them hate to ask for directions. Why stop to ask directions when you're having so much fun, right? The Motorola MOTONAV TN20 GPS Receiver or the TomTom One 130 GPS for less than $200* will add direction to the next road trip and guide Dad to every destination with ease. If Dad has a Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone and likes to talk in the car, help him do so hands-free with a Bluetooth headset for as little as $40 and up. Or, at home if Dad is still tethered to his computer with a corded mouse, consider the new Gigaware wireless laser mouse for under $50.
- Gifts for children and teens: Today's kids love electronic toys and portable music, and here are some affordable and fun suggestions.
- WowWee FlyTech RC Dragonfly (under $40*) provides hours of indoor flying fun.
- Gigaware 4GB Music Player holds up to 1,000 songs and has a built-in speaker for music sharing for less than $80*.
- Gigaware FM Transmitter does just that for under $70*. Other affordable iPod and MP3 accessories such as docking stations, splitters and upgraded headphones are also available to help music lovers get the most out of their listening experience.
- Gift for grandparents, a friend or another "special someone" on your list: the Optimus 7" Digital Photo Frame (less than $80*). Add a flash memory card for as little as $20* and you can personalize the frame with hundreds of pre-loaded pictures that can be viewed as soon as the gift is unwrapped.
Shoppers looking for some extra money to help pay for gifts can consider RadioShack's online trade-in program. This allows customers to exchange certain used portable electronics for RadioShack gift cards. These cards can be given as gifts or used to shop for new products at RadioShack stores or online. For more details, visit www.RadioShack.com.
These suggestions represent only a small fraction of the fun and affordable consumer electronic gift ideas available at RadioShack this holiday season. For more ideas, visit any of the almost 6,000 RadioShack stores nationwide or www.RadioShack.com. RadioShack also offers a Holiday Gift Finder at http://www.radioshack.com/decisionWizard/. This helpful online tool lets shoppers narrow a selection of gifts by price, gender, age, recipient and interests."
*Prices listed are the regular prices on Dec, 10, 2008, which are subject to change.
About RadioShack Corporation
RadioShack Corporation (NYSE: RSH) is one of the nation's most experienced and trusted consumer electronics specialty retailers. Operating from convenient and comfortable neighborhood and mall locations, RadioShack stores deliver personalized product and service solutions within a few short minutes of where most Americans either live or work. The company has a presence through approximately 4,400 company-operated stores, 1,400 dealer outlets in the United States and nearly 700 wireless phone kiosks. RadioShack's dedicated force of knowledgeable and helpful sales associates has been consistently recognized by several independent groups as providing the best customer service in the consumer electronics and wireless industries.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances