Choice Hotels and Its Franchised Properties Supporting Local and National Causes During the Holidays
Silver Spring, Md., // PRNewswire-FirstCall // -- From volunteering time to helping disadvantaged families to collecting toys for underprivileged children, franchised domestic properties of Choice Hotels International (NYSE: CHH) and the corporation are elevating their contributions to their local communities and those in need during this holiday season.
Hundreds of thousands of travelers stay at Choice's franchised properties this time of year to visit friends and family, according to company estimates. Choice-brand hotels become a hub of holiday activity, where welcoming hospitality is provided in the spirit of the season.
The company franchises nearly 4,700 hotels nationwide, with properties actively participating in their local communities year-round. The hotels highlighted below offer examples of the ways many Choice hotels are helping spread holiday cheer this season:
- Five Choice-brand hotels in the Tucson, Arizona area volunteered their time at the Tucson Community Food Bank. The participating hotels included the Comfort Suites Sabino Canyon, the Comfort Suites Tucson Airport, the Quality Inn Tucson Airport and the Quality Inn Tucson.
- Also volunteering their time were the staffs at the Quality Suites Lake Wright and the Sleep Inn Lake Wright, both of Norfolk, Virginia, completed a full day of bell ringing on behalf of the Salvation Army and spent time working at the Salvation Army Xmas Depot, which serves needy families during the holiday season.
- Managers at the Comfort Suites Research Triangle Park/Raleigh Durham in Durham, North Carolina spent a full day volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, doing light carpentry, painting, caulking and sanding.
- In Prescott Valley, Arizona, the brand new Comfort Suites Hotel is providing two needy families with overnight accommodations, meals and gifts for the families' children.
- The Comfort Suites of Dover, Delaware offers complimentary lodging on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to individuals visiting family or friends in assisted living facilities, veteran's homes or hospitals, as well as families referred to the properties by other relief organizations.
- The Quality Hotel Philadelphia International Airport of Essington, Pennsylvania is also providing free rooms to family members visiting sick relatives.
- The Comfort Suites UCF/Research Park of Orlando, Florida donated linens for use by a local shelter serving runaway, homeless and at-risk youth.
- The employees of the Comfort Inn and Suites in Paw Paw, Michigan made a generous donation to Toys for Tots in the West Michigan area.
"It is our strong belief that hotels should become integral parts of the communities in which they operate," said J.L. Jernegan, general manager of the Comfort Suites Hotel in Prescott Valley, Arizona, a newly-built, 100-suite hotel that began welcoming guests yesterday. "We look forward to welcoming at our property two families in need of the community's support this holiday season. Our hotel will be providing food, shelter, gifts for the adults, toys for the children, and of course, great hospitality."
All Choice Hotels corporate offices - Silver Spring, Maryland; Phoenix, Arizona; Minot, North Dakota; and Grand Junction, Colorado - are collecting new, unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots. The Choice Hotels International Foundation, the company's charitable foundation, also made a one-time $25,000 donation to Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. The Choice Hotels International Foundation focuses its efforts on programs that provide food, clothing and shelter to those in need, enhance and enrich educational efforts and promote the growth and development of tourism.
"We applaud the tremendous contributions Choice brand hotels are making in their local communities, which are of particular importance given the current economic climate," said Stephen P. Joyce, president and chief executive officer, Choice Hotels International. "With nearly 4,700 Choice-brand hotels open and operating across the country are proud members of their communities and they play a significant role in the lives of many throughout the year, not just during the holidays."
"As a corporation, we are extensively involved in the communities in which we operate, and on behalf of our associates, we are pleased to be able to support such respected organizations as Toys for Tots and Feeding America," added Joyce.
About Choice Hotels
Choice Hotels International franchises more than 5,700 hotels, representing more than 465,000 rooms, in the United States and more than 35 countries and territories. As of September 30, 2008, 955 hotels are under construction, awaiting conversion or approved for development in the United States, representing 76,269 rooms, and an additional 119 hotels, representing 9,647 rooms, are under construction, awaiting conversion or approved for development in more than 20 countries and territories. The company's Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn brands serve guests worldwide. In addition, via its Ascend Collection membership program, travelers in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean have upscale lodging options at historic, boutique and unique hotels.
Choice Hotels, Choice Hotels International, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn are proprietary trademarks and service marks of Choice Hotels International.
SOURCE Choice Hotels International, Inc.