UK's second Staybridge Suites opens in Newcastle
April 07, 2009 // Franchising.com // Today marks the opening of Staybridge Suites Newcastle, IHG's (InterContinental Hotels Group) second extended-stay property in the UK.
Bridging the gap between conventional hotels and serviced apartments, Staybridge Suites is designed for people seeking a residential-style stay when they spend longer periods away from home.
Staybridge Suites Newcastle occupies a prime city centre site on Buxton Street, close to the Quayside and Newcastle's main business district. While many of its suites offer views across the River Tyne and Millennium Bridge, the hotel also sits on the line of Hadrian's Wall with elements of the wall preserved under the building.
Kirk Kinsell, IHG's President Europe, Middle East & Africa, said: "Having witnessed the popularity of Staybridge Suites amongst guests seeking a home-from-home experience in the US, it is great to see the continued success of the concept in this part of the world since opening our Liverpool and Cairo properties last year."
"With three Staybridge Suites hotels now open this side of the Atlantic we look forward to bringing a further two properties on board in Abu Dhabi and Russia by the end of the year."
Owned by Trinity Hotels, the 128-suite hotel will be managed by IHG under a 20-year management contract.
Staybridge Suites' tiered rate structure ensures prices are discounted the longer a guest stays, making it a more economical as well as comfortable option for business travellers.
There are currently 11 further Staybridge Suites hotels in progress across Europe, the Middle East and Africa which are expected to open by 2012. Globally IHG has 152 Staybridge Suites open, with 166 in the development pipeline.
About Staybridge Suites in EMEA
- Staybridge Suites is an innovative all-suite hotel brand designed to meet the needs of upscale extended-stay guests, primarily targeting business travellers who usually stay five nights or more.
- The one-bedroom and studio suites feature a fully-equipped kitchen, state-of-the-art entertainment and communications, including free WiFi, and more space compared to conventional hotel rooms.
- At Staybridge Suites' heart is the hub kitchen, where breakfast is served every morning. This is also the venue for the signature after-work receptions, held four nights a week, when guests are served complimentary drinks and themed snacks and have a chance to socialise in a relaxing environment.
- Other added comforts include the living room, complete with open fire, an outdoor terrace, an exercise room, daily housekeeping, guest laundry room and the convenience of its own 24/7 deli-style pantry.
- The first Staybridge Suites in the EMEA region opened in Liverpool in June 2008, while Staybridge Suites Cairo Citystars fully opened in November 2008.
- Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi Yas Island (165 suites) and Staybridge Suites St Petersburg - Moskovskye Vorota (176 suites) are due to open in October 2009.
- Figures as of 31 December 2008
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is the world's largest hotel group by number of rooms. IHG owns, manages, leases or franchises, through various subsidiaries, more than 4,150 hotels and almost 620,000 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries and territories around the world. The Group owns a portfolio of well recognised and respected hotel brands including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo®, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn® Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites®, and also manages the world's largest hotel loyalty programme, Priority Club® Rewards with 42 million members worldwide.
IHG has more than 1,700 hotels in its development pipeline, which will create 200,000 jobs worldwide over the next few years.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group's holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales.