Blockbuster Reveals Brightest Stars in Sci-Fi Galaxy in Honor of 'Star Trek' Theatrical Release
Dallas, // PRNewswire-FirstCall // -- In the universe of science fiction, a few stars outshine others in the minds of devoted fans. In honor of tomorrow's theatrical release of the "Star Trek" remake, BLOCKBUSTER® has conducted a survey to reveal which science fiction characters are favorites among sci-fi fans.
Every science fiction movie worth its starship needs a strong captain battling for the future of mankind against an evil alien villain. Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds, played by Nathan Fillion in the "Firefly" television series and the feature film "Serenity" was named in the survey as Favorite Starship Captain by sci-fi fans. On the darker side, the iconic Darth Vader was named the Favorite Sci-Fi Villain.
As any good science fiction fan knows from watching the romantic adventures of Captain James T. Kirk, the other essential element of a good sci-fi movie is a sexy love interest - human or alien. Participants in the survey by Blockbuster named Brit favorite The Doctor, as played by David Tennant in the BBC's "Dr. Who," as Favorite Sci-Fi Hunk, beating out more mainstream choices like Keanu Reeve's Neo and Harrison Ford's Han Solo. Favorite Sci-Fi Babe goes to the svelte semi-cyborg Seven of Nine, whose form-fitting silver jumpsuit revealed the character's attractive human qualities.
The following are the complete results of the sci-fi poll conducted online at www.blockbuster.com in April/May 2009.
Favorite Starship Captain
- Malcolm Reynolds in "Firefly" and "Serenity"
- James T. Kirk in the original "Star Trek"
- Jean-Luc Picard in "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
- Han Solo in "Star Wars"
- William Adama in "Battlestar Gallactica"
Favorite Sci-Fi Villain(s)
- Darth Vader in "Star Wars"
- Agent Smith in "The Matrix"
- The Borg in "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
- The Reavers in "Firefly" and "Serenity"
- John Cavil in "Battlestar Gallactica"
Favorite Sci-Fi Hunk
- The Doctor as played by David Tennant in "Dr. Who"
- Han Solo in "Star Wars"
- Neo in "The Matrix"
- Lee Adama in "Battlestar Gallactica"
- Fox Mulder in "The X Files"
Favorite Sci-Fi Babe
- Seven of Nine in "Star Trek: Voyager"
- Leloo in "The Fifth Element"
- Princess Leia in "Return of the Jedi"
- Caprica-Six in "Battlestar Gallactica"
- Kate Austen in "Lost"
Blockbuster Inc. is a leading global provider of in-home movie and game entertainment, with more than 7,400 stores throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia and Australia. The company may be accessed worldwide at www.blockbuster.com.
SOURCE: Blockbuster Inc.