What's Floating Around in Your Air?
Seven tips for keeping the air inside your home clean
October 08, 2009 // Franchising.com // WACO, Texas – Breathing clean air may be the best medicine for your allergies.
"The air inside your home can be more polluted than the air outside," said Doyle James, president of Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. "As home's are built with more high-quality standards to increase energy efficiency, which results in more air tight homes, the indoor air quality may become worse than outside. This can contribute to more frequent health issues that increase instances of asthma and problems with allergies."
While pollen and allergens outdoors can't be controlled, you can take steps to reduce their effect indoors. Follow these seven tips by Aire Serv to reduce the amount of indoor air pollutants:
- Keep windows closed. Enjoy a fall breeze outdoors to prevent allergens from entering into your home.
- Vacuum and dust – wipe your hand across your ceiling fan blade to see how much dust is being distributed through the air.
- Change air filters on your heating and cooling equipment often – most manufacturers recommend once a month depending on dust levels.
- Consider upgrading your air filter system with a better filter system to address the three types of pollutants – dust, bacteria and chemicals.
- Reduce excess moisture in the air with a dehumidifier in high humidity areas. Moist air encourages the growth of bacteria, mold and common allergens. Common signs of excess moisture are condensations on windows, rotting wood and musty smells.
- Clean humidifiers and heating units – dirty units create a breeding ground for mold and bacteria.
- Reduce the use of products like aerosol, room deodorizer, perfumes, candles and household cleaning products.
To help identify the level of indoor air pollutants and determine types of improvements needed to supply healthier air, have your heating, air conditioning and indoor air quality specialist conduct an indoor air quality survey.
About Aire Serv®:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Aire Serv franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at more than 170 locations in the United States and Canada. Aire Serv is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc.