Cartridge World Helps the Environment and Offers Savings on Earth Day
International Printer Cartridge Retailer is Educating Consumers and Businesses on the Benefits of Keeping Cartridges Out of Landfills
March 26, 2010 // Franchising.com // Emeryville, CA — When it comes to recycling and being environmentally conscious, most people view it as time consuming and costing too much money. Now, Cartridge World is making it easy to save on both fronts.
Cartridge World, the world's fastest growing ink and toner remanufacturing retailer and franchisor with more than 650 locations in the U.S. and Canada, is reminding everyone on Earth Day (April 22) that saving money and helping the environment is easy when it comes to reusing printer cartridges.
A discarded printer cartridge thrown into a landfill can take up to 450 years to decompose and with more than 350 million cartridges thrown out every year in North America alone, it all adds up to mountains of unnecessary waste. Since printers are commonplace in every home office and business, it makes sense to reuse and refill empty ink and toner cartridges – and saves money in the process.
"With our continued commitment to recycling, we look forward to the day when reusing and refilling cartridges is as common as separating waste materials in our homes," said Steven Yeffa, President of Cartridge World Americas. "Recycling programs for cans, bottles and papers are mainstream, but few realize the additional impact they can make by reusing and refilling printer cartridges. The 40th Anniversary of Earth Day in 2010 provides Cartridge World customers a way to be earth friendly and save their hard earned money in the process."
Customers simply swap out their empty cartridge or purchase one already prefilled and find a significant savings compared to buying new. Recycling bins are also stationed at all Cartridge World retail locations for the general public to drop off their empty cartridges.
Cartridge World recommends the following tips for an environmentally friendly home office/business:
- Refill and reuse empty printer cartridges – Empty ink jet and toner cartridges can be refilled and reused multiple times.
- Use rewriteable CDs and DVDs so they can be re-used again.
- Print double-sided.
- Decrease margin areas to fit more copy on a page.
- Double-check your drafts before you print.
- Communicate with team members about who will bring printouts to meetings.
- Turn off all electrical equipment at night.
Cartridge World reports some shocking ink and toner cartridge facts:
- It takes about a gallon of oil to make a new toner cartridge. This will help save oil, especially with the current gas/oil situation.
- Almost eight cartridges are thrown away per second in the United States.
- In North America alone, over 350 million cartridges per year are discarded in our landfills, and that number increases by 12 percent annually.
- Every remanufactured cartridge saves nearly 2.5 pounds of solid waste from being deposited in landfills.
- Seventy percent of used printer cartridges throughout the world are currently being thrown out
- In one year, if the world's discarded cartridges were stacked end-to-end; they would circle the earth over three times.
"Officially Earth Day is April 22nd, but at Cartridge World, it's everyday," adds Yeffa.
About Cartridge World
Emeryville, CA – based Cartridge World is the world's fastest growing ink and toner refilling retailer and franchisor in the $80 billion printer cartridge industry. The company refills and remanufactures inkjet and toner printer cartridges, using state-of-the-art processes and high quality inks and toners. It offers consumers and businesses a more affordable option to buying new, provides a 100 percent satisfaction money-back guarantee and helps the environment by keeping cartridges out of landfills. Voted #1 in the category of toner replacement services by Entrepreneur Magazine Franchise 500 for 2010, Cartridge World has more than 1,700 franchised retail locations in 61 countries.