InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Franchise Celebrates 'Responsible Business Day' in partnership with National Geographic's center for sustainable destinations
September 21, 2010 // Franchising.com // InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, the world's first truly global hotel brand, today celebrates the work that each its hotels around the world are doing to sustain and enhance their local destination.
In partnership with National Geographic's Center for Sustainable Destinations, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties regularly take part in activities that ensure their location remains an appealing place to visit for future generations. Today, Responsible Business Day, will see InterContinental hotels from around the world take part in such an activity.
Whilst the activities vary from location to location, each will be inspired by InterContinental Hotels & Resorts' Five Principles of Responsible Business, which have been developed in association with National Geographic's Geotourism Code of Good Practice.
The Five Principles include:
- Integrity of Place - Staying true to the local character where each hotel or resort is located
- Destination Appeal - Celebrating what's attractive and compelling about each local area
- Community - Supporting local community activities and initiatives
- Sharing our Stories - Encouraging guest and colleague interest and exploration of each local area
- Minimising Impact - Demonstrating care and consideration of the local area and its people.
Examples of Responsible Business initiatives that have been carried out by InterContinental hotels and resorts worldwide include:
- Al Bustan Palace InterContinental Muscat - In Oman, fresh water is a scarce resource, so the hotel runs and manages the local sewerage treatment plant that works not only for the benefit of the hotel, but also for the local Al Bustan village. Through the sewerage treatment process, 780 cubic metres of water is recycled per day, which is used to irrigate the local agricultural fields and the hotel gardens.
- Willard InterContinental Washington DC - Through guest donation and laundry cost savings the hotel provides funding to the cleaning of the local Anacostia River, to revive its eco system. Employees also regularly clean the adjacent Pershing Park. The Willard is also the first urban hotel in the US to source 100% of its power from wind energy
- InterContinental London Park Lane - This hotel works closely with charity organisation WellChild, to make a positive contribution to the local community, through their work with disadvantaged children. Recently, the hotel built a community garden for children to play in.
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam - The hotel focuses much of its attention on food and has chosen to use organic or sustainably sourced products from local farms and fisheries.
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa - Located in one of the most remote parts of the world, this hotel is the first in the world to pioneer a salt water air-conditioning system. Cold air from the sea is channelled to cool the entire property. The hotel also built a coral garden to protect and encourage the growth of local wildlife habitats.
Simon Scoot, Vice President, Global Brand Management, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, said: "At InterContinental, we share with our guests a common belief that the most enriching travel comes through authentic experiences. In connecting people which all that's special about our destinations, we have a responsibility to protect the nature, heritage and communities that make each place unique. Our partnership with National Geographic's Center for Sustainable Destinations is all about working together to encourage a deeper appreciation of each of our locations."
About InterContinental Hotels & Resorts
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has 168 hotels, located in more than 60 countries with local insight that comes from over 60 years of experience. At InterContinental we believe that superior, understated service and outstanding facilities are important, but what makes us truly different, is the genuine interest we show in our guests. Our desire is to help guests make the most of their time. We connect our well-travelled guests to what's special about a destination, by sharing our knowledge so they enjoy authentic experiences that will enrich their lives and broaden their outlook.
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is the world's largest hotel group by number of rooms. IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns, through various subsidiaries, over 4,500 hotels and more than 650,000 guest rooms in 100 countries and territories around the world. The Group owns a portfolio of well recognised and respected hotel brands including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo®, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn® Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites® and also manages the world's largest hotel loyalty programme, Priority Club® Rewards with 52 million members worldwide.
IHG has over 1,300 hotels in its development pipeline, which will create 160,000 jobs worldwide over the next few years.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group's holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales.