Property damage restoration company, Paul Davis, provides safety tips for National Preparedness Month in September
September 01, 2011 // Franchising.com // Aurora, Ill. - Paul Davis Restoration, Inc., a leading national provider of water, fire and mold damage clean up and restoration services for residential and commercial properties, is participating in National Preparedness Month to help individuals and families learn about being ready for disasters.
The awareness program in September is sponsored by The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Ready Campaign. Visit www.Ready.gov for information.
"The likelihood that you and your family will survive an emergency increases if you have a plan and practice that plan. You must have the tools in place, no matter where you are when disaster strikes," said Jack O'Connell, Paul Davis office owner. "We recommend that each person get a basic emergency kit, make a plan, and stay informed."
Tips for a Basic Emergency Kit:
- Water - one gallon per person per day for at least three days
- Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Clothing - A change of clothing and a sleeping bag for each person
- Filter masks - cover mouth and nose with 2-3 layers of a cotton T- shirt, towels or filter mask
- Duct tape, heavy weight garbage bags, plastic sheeting - to protect against debris and toxins
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio, a NOAA Weather Radio, extra batteries
- Cell Phone and charger
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit - sterile gloves; adhesive bandages; antibiotic ointment; gauze pads; iodine/alcohol pads; medical tape; pain reliever; emergency Mylar blanket; thermometer; prescription medications, and prescribed medical supplies.
- Waterproof, portable containers - for documents like IDs, insurance policies, bank account records, site maps, employee contact, computer backup files, emergency and law enforcement information, and other priority documents. Store a second set of records at an off-site location.
"Talk to your family, friends and co-workers about planning for disasters and assembling supply kits. Preparing makes sense, so get ready now," said O'Connell.
Paul Davis Restoration, Inc. is a national franchisor and leading provider of water, fire, and mold cleanup and restoration services for residential and commercial properties since 1966. Paul Davis Restoration has franchise locations throughout North America with owners and technicians who are certified by The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). For more information, visit the website at www.FloodFireCleanup.com.