Gap Inc. Continues Tradition of Thanksgiving Day Store Openings; Old Navy to Open Around 800 Stores
Company launches www.ShopYourselfSocial.com – Its first ever cross-branded holiday campaign
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Continuing the tradition of giving shoppers a jump start on the Black Friday holiday, Gap Inc. today announced that nearly 1,000 stores across its brands will open on Thanksgiving in the U.S.
“Our customers have given us terrific feedback about the option of getting a head start on their shopping on Thanksgiving Day”
Eighty percent of the Old Navy stores in America will open, along with stores from the Gap, Banana Republic, Gap Outlet, and Banana Republic Factory divisions. In addition, all eight Athleta stores will be open, and the newest Gap Inc. brand will open its ninth store, in Minneapolis, on Black Friday.
“Our customers have given us terrific feedback about the option of getting a head start on their shopping on Thanksgiving Day,” said Tom Wyatt, president of Old Navy. “It’s a fun environment for the whole family, and a welcome excursion for those looking to get ahead or take a break from the holiday festivities. This is a win-win for our brand and our shoppers alike.”
In addition, Gap Inc. has announced the launch of Shop Yourself Social, the company’s first cross-branded campaign designed to help shoppers cut through the online and social media deal frenzy and find the best deals on gifts they would love to give (or get) this holiday season. The campaign’s site, www.ShopYourselfSocial.com, offers real-time tips and tricks to get the most out of social shopping as well as convenient access to all five Gap Inc. brands’ social networking channels. Visitors to the site can find the latest feeds and information on each brand’s store openings, events and promotions, including:
- Old Navy: More than 80 percent of Old Navy stores will be open on Thanksgiving Day in major cities including New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, followed later by midnight openings across most stores in the country for Black Friday. Old Navy will carry on its Gobblepalooza tradition from last year, offering customers three days of eye-popping deals and a 3D store experience throughout the weekend.
- Gap Outlet and Banana Republic Factory Stores: Over 300 stores will be open on Black Friday (over 250 of these stores will be open for Midnight Madness) and almost 30 stores will be open on Thanksgiving Day.
- Gap: On Thanksgiving Day, 116 stores will be open in major cities including Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco, with nearly 200 stores opening at midnight on Black Friday. Gap will be focused on offering the perfect gifts this holiday season, as well as offering new recycled paper gift cards for those eco-friendly friends and family members on the shopping list.
- Banana Republic: On Thanksgiving Day, 54 Banana Republic stores will be open with 50 more opening at midnight on Black Friday across the country. Banana Republic’s holiday product aims to outfit customers with modern, versatile and stylish pieces, including dresses and cashmere to complement their work to holiday evening attire – from desk to dinner.
- Athleta: All eight Athleta stores will be open on Thanksgiving Day in major cities such as Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. The ninth Athleta store will celebrate its grand opening in Minneapolis on Black Friday.
- Gap Inc. e-commerce: Customers can experience all Gap Inc. brands with one seamless checkout and payment process and Everyday Free Shipping on any order over $50. As always, Piperlime orders include Free Shipping and Free Returns.
Mobile shopping discounts expanded – customers have access to real-time, location based discounts across Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy
According to the National Retail Federation’s 2011 Holiday Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, more than half (52.6 percent) of smartphone owners say they will use their devices to research products this holiday season. In response to this demand, Gap Inc. this year is offering two mobile shopping options for customers on-the-go.
Working with Visa, the company announced it has expanded its Gap Mobile4U program, to deliver offers and promotions for Banana Republic (BR mobile 4U), and Old Navy (Old Navy 4U) in addition to Gap brands – delivering personalized offers triggered in real time for the holidays and throughout the year. Customers who opt into the service will receive tailored discounts and promotions via SMS text messages when qualifying transactions are made with enrolled Visa accounts. Sent directly to their mobile devices, customers simply redeem their special offers by presenting the text message at select Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy stores nationwide. Customers can sign up to receive offers for the brands of their choice at www.visa.com/gapmobile4u.
Earlier this year, Gap Inc. launched a new and improved mobile optimized shopping experience for iPhone and Android. Mobile shoppers can take advantage of an easy shopping experience, even while waiting in line.
“Our mobile optimized sites were created so our customers could have real-time access to the same service, experience and product promotions that they would have on the website,” said Toby Lenk, president of Gap Inc. Direct. “We’re excited that our customers will have access to our newly optimized site this holiday, and we’ll do everything in our power to fulfill their holiday shopping needs.”
About Gap Inc.
Gap Inc. is a leading global specialty retailer offering clothing, accessories, and personal care products for men, women, children, and babies under the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime, and Athleta brands. Fiscal year 2010 net sales were $14.7 billion. Gap Inc. products are available for purchase in over 90 countries worldwide through about 3,100 company-operated stores, about 200 franchise stores, and e-commerce sites. For more information, please visit www.gapinc.com.
Liz Nunan, 415-427-5537