New Year, New Home
Important Safety Resolutions to Start Your New Year Off Right
January 19, 2012 // Franchising.com // New year, new opportunities indicates weekly trips to the gym, carrots instead of candy and an opportunity to break bad habits. How about a resolution that goes beyond 2012 and keeps your children and home safe for years to come? This year, make it a priority to childproof your kitchen and clean beyond the countertops to keep your family happy and healthy all year long.
“Your kitchen never gets a day off,” said Doug Rogers, president of Mr. Appliance Corp. “Between hot appliances and sharp cooking utensils, kids can often be in danger of hurting themselves. Fortunately, homeowners can prevent most accidents by making a few simple adjustments and educating their children about kitchen safety.”
Follow these resolution tips from Mr. Appliance to keep your kitchen clean and your kids safe:
- Keep items not safe for kids on higher shelves. Place juice boxes, apple slices and cheese sticks on the lower shelves for a healthy snack within your child’s reach.
- Soak refrigerator removable parts in the sink with warm, soapy water to remove stains from food spills to keep new produce as fresh as possible.
- Position refrigerator shelves to make it difficult for children to climb inside and close the door leaving your kitchen with a dangerous hide-and-seek spot.
Stove and Oven
- Turn pot and pan handles in and away from the edge of the stove so curious hands can’t pull them down.
- Remove oven racks and wash them by hand with warm water and soap to remove caked on food that can burn in your oven.
- Establish a “safety zone” marked by a small rug or area of the kitchen to keep kids several feet away from the oven while it’s hot.
- Wipe interior microwave surfaces with a mixture of two tablespoons baking soda and one quart water to remove food stains and keep your microwave clean for future use.
- Encourage children to use an oven mitt when removing a hot plate or bowl.
- Heat a microwave-safe bowl of vanilla extract for three minutes to give your kitchen a fresh scent.
- Keep the dishwasher closed when you’re not loading or unloading. Sharp utensils inside can be dangerous to children.
- Create a “safety zone” when opening the door to a steam-heavy dishwasher to avoid burns from the hot steam. Teach children to wait for dishes to cool down before unloading.
- Give your dishwasher a fresh start to thoroughly clean your dishes. Remove food residue by running an empty dishwasher with a cup of white vinegar.
Most of these resolution tips can be accomplished in a matter of minutes and keep your home safe and energy efficient, too! If you find a problem that you can’t handle, contact an appliance repair professional to help.
For recipes, appliance and energy tips, follow us on Twitter at @MrApplianceCorp and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MrApplianceCorp.
About Mr. Appliance®
Mr. Appliance is North America’s leading appliance repair franchise system. Established in 1996, its franchises provide full-service residential and light commercial appliance repair. Mr. Appliance has more than 150 locations throughout the United States and Canada and is consistently ranked among the top home service franchises by Entrepreneur magazine and other industry experts. Mr. Appliance is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For more information, visit www.mrappliance.com.
(800) 207-8515 x. 5085