Iced Coffee Drinkers Running On Iced More Often This Winter, According To New Dunkin’ Donuts Survey
Survey shows an overwhelming majority of iced coffee drinkers are drinking more iced coffee this winter compared to last winter.
Nearly two-thirds of iced coffee drinkers feel iced coffee gives them a mental edge over colleagues at work.
January 25, 2012 // Franchising.com // CANTON, MA – As the temperatures drop, the popularity of iced coffee is heating up. According to an independent survey commissioned by Dunkin’ Donuts, an overwhelming majority (84%) of iced coffee drinkers claim they are drinking more iced coffee this winter compared to last winter. And, people are turning to ice for more than just a boost to make it through a winter day, as nearly two-thirds feel that iced coffee gives them a mental edge over colleagues at work.
Dunkin’ Donuts, the company that serves the most iced coffee in America*, conducted the survey during the last week of December 2011. Polling 500 iced coffee drinkers throughout the country, the survey examines the “cold hard facts” about iced coffee consumption, and how and why coffee drinkers are warming up to iced coffee during the winter. Highlights include:
- Winter iced coffee consumption has never been hotter. Eighty-four percent (84%) of respondents say that they are drinking more iced coffee this winter than last winter. Eighty-six percent (86%) of respondents say that they are drinking more iced coffee this winter compared to three winters ago.
- Iced coffee for giving your performance at work a jolt. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of respondents claim that iced coffee makes them feel more productive at work. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of respondents believe that drinking iced coffee gives them a mental edge over their colleagues.
- Iced coffee drinkers savor the flavor. Ninety percent (90%) of respondents go for flavor in their beverage. The most popular choices for flavored iced coffee among survey respondents are French Vanilla (30%), Mocha (27%) and Caramel (21%).
- A midday rush for iced coffee. When do most people crave iced coffee? For iced coffee drinkers responding to the survey, the most popular time of the day is between 10 AM and 2 PM (41%), followed closely by 2 PM to 6 PM (37%).
- Drink cool, feel cool. More than half of respondents (55%) say that they feel cooler and trendier by holding a cup of iced coffee. The percentage increases to 60% among younger iced coffee drinkers, aged 18 to 24.
Dunkin’ Donuts’ survey also examined ways besides iced coffee that people get themselves going and keep themselves running during the winter months. Some of the top responses include:
- Going to the gym (35%)
- Planning a vacation (19%)
- Watching the football playoffs (17%)
- Watching new shows on TV (17%)
- Receiving a tax rebate (12%)
“As the company that serves the most iced coffee in America, we’ve seen iced coffee consumption continue to rise steadily in winter months, with iced coffee now nearly as popular as the classic cup of Dunkin’ Donuts’ hot coffee even during the coldest time of year,” said John Costello, Chief Global Marketing and Innovation Officer at Dunkin’ Brands. “As our survey results show, more and more people recognize iced coffee as the perfect way to gain some extra energy or a mental edge that can be so important for keeping running through the long winter days.”
To learn more about Dunkin’ Donuts, visit www.DunkinDonuts.com or follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/DunkinDonuts) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/DunkinDonuts).
About Dunkin' Donuts
Founded in 1950, Dunkin' Donuts is America's favorite all-day, everyday stop for coffee and baked goods. Dunkin' Donuts is a market leader in the regular/decaf coffee, iced coffee, hot flavored coffee, donut, bagel and muffin categories. Dunkin' Donuts has earned the No. 1 ranking for customer loyalty in the coffee category by Brand Keys for five years running. The company has more than 10,000 restaurants in 32 countries worldwide. In 2010, Dunkin' Donuts' global system-wide sales were $6 billion. Based in Canton, Mass., Dunkin' Donuts is a subsidiary of Dunkin' Brands Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: DNKN). For more information, visit www.DunkinDonuts.com.
*According To The NPD Group / CREST®, For Quick Service Restaurants Year Ending October 2010.
Burson-Marsteller conducted an online poll among 500 members of the general population who are 18-49, representative of the US population who drink iced coffee. The poll was conducted December 27th, 2011 - January 3rd, 2012 to examine opinions and habits of iced coffee drinkers. The margin of error for the overall audience is +/-4.38% and larger for sub-groups.