Don’t Let Mosquitoes Suck the Fun Out of Your Summer – Tips from Terminix
June 13, 2012 // Franchising.com // Memphis, Tenn. - As temperatures continue to creep higher, so does the number of pesky insects. One pest in particular, though, can ruin any outdoor gathering: the mosquito. These blood-thirsty pests can make homeowners and their guests miserable. And what’s worse, they also transmit the potentially dangerous West Nile Virus.
Be sure to take advantage of the following tips to minimize the presence of mosquitoes this summer:
- Empty birdbaths and kiddie pools at least once a week to eliminate breeding grounds in the back yard.
- Remove pots, saucers or other items that might collect and hold water. If these items are going unused, consider storing them upside down.
- Keep gutters clean so water does not accumulate. Any water that stands for seven days or longer can breed mosquitoes.
- Even the smallest of containers that collect water can breed hundreds to thousands of mosquitoes. Check children’s toys, leaky faucets, and tarps.
- Be aware of peak mosquito hours. The hours from dusk to dawn are peak biting times for many species of mosquitoes. Take extra care to wear protective clothing during evening and early morning.
- Many mosquitoes like to come indoors. Keep them outside with well-fitting screens on both windows and doors.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to sweet scents. Avoid scented lotions and strong perfumes.
Thankfully, Terminix offers an all-natural mosquito solution to help you battle mosquitoes all summer long. The Mosquito Mister is an automated mosquito repellent system with dual misting outlets that provides effective protection against all kinds of flies and mosquitoes, including those that spread diseases. These can be found on the Terminix website, and come in a variety of models to cater to the size of different backyards.
Terminix, a division of the ServiceMaster Company, is the world’s largest pest control provider. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., Terminix services more than 3 million customers in 47 states and 14 countries. Terminix provides pest control services and protection against termites, rodents and other pests threatening human health and/or safety. To learn more about Terminix, visit www.Terminix.com
With a global network of more than 6,900 company-owned, franchise and licensed locations, Memphis-based ServiceMaster is one of the world’s largest residential and commercial service networks. The company’s high-profile brands are TruGreen, Terminix, American Home Shield, ServiceMaster Clean, Merry Maids, Furniture Medic and AmeriSpec. Through approximately 21,000 corporate associates and a franchise network that independently employs over 31,000 additional people, the ServiceMaster family of brands serves more than 8.2 million customers every year. Our brands hold market-leading positions in residential and commercial lawn, tree and shrub care, termite and pest control, home warranties, furniture repair, home inspections, residential and commercial cleaning and disaster restoration. Go to www.servicemaster.com for more information about ServiceMaster or follow us at twitter.com/ServiceMaster or facebook.com/TheServiceMasterCo.