Tips on Handling Water Damage by Rainbow International
Hurricane Isaac has flooded many structures along the Gulf Coast. Follow these tips to ensure complete and speedy restoration of your home or office.
(PRWEB) August 31, 2012 - If a home or office has experienced water damage from Hurricane Isaac, it is important to locate a water damage repair company that is well trained and has the equipment to completely dry the structure as quickly as possible.
Water damage is progressive and items that could be restored within the first 48 hours of the water damage may not be restored if emergency response is delayed. Although the homeowner might be tempted to use a shop vacuum or call a company that only has equipment to dry carpet, remember that water will wick up walls and travel under base molding and sill plates. It will penetrate through floor coverings into sub-floors, even causing water damage in rooms below.
In addition, if humidity inside the structure is not controlled, items that were not damaged from the original water damage could be damaged as a result of absorbing moisture from the air. Structures that are not dried out quickly and properly can become a food source for mold growth, which may require professional mold removal.
In the event of water damage, do the following:
- Stay calm! Call Rainbow International.
- Turn off the breaker in the damaged area before unplugging or removing any electrical devices located on the wet carpet.
- Place aluminum foil under the legs of any furniture, which is in contact with wet carpet. This might help prevent furniture stains on the carpet.
- Lift draperies away from wet carpet.
- Pin up upholstered furniture skirts which may get wet.
- Remove books, shoes, paper goods, fabrics, potted plants, and other items, which may stain wet carpet.
Do not attempt the following:
- Don’t use a home vacuum, since electrical shock may result, as well as certain damage to the equipment itself.
- Don’t place newspaper in traffic areas to walk on, since newspaper ink transfers easily to the wet carpet fibers and may result in permanent staining.
- Don’t walk on carpet any more than necessary. This will keep the damage from spreading to unaffected areas.
About Rainbow International®
Established in 1980, Rainbow International is a global franchise organization providing residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Rainbow International franchisees offer a broad range of damage restoration services (ranging from water, smoke and fire damage to carpet and upholstery cleaning and deodorization) to more than 330 locations worldwide. The new Rapid Structure Drying Network of Rainbow International has established a network of elite water loss mitigation franchises across the United States. Rainbow International is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit http://www.rainbowinternational.com.