New Intelligent Office Survey Finds Ongoing Culture Shift in the Work Place
North American Workers Are Using Social Settings to Extend Where They Work
Of the More Than 1,000 People Polled Nearly Half Work in Multiple Locations on a Regular Basis
DENVER - October 18, 2012 - (BUSINESS WIRE) - A new survey by Intelligent Office finds that people are choosing where they want to work rather than being assigned a standard work place location. There is a culture shift taking place in which today’s worker is personalizing and customizing where they work by finding and using creative, social locations to get their jobs done.
Supporting the results of Intelligent Office’s first Work IQ survey from earlier this year, these findings also point to an overall shift in today’s workers. While people still seek success and work hard to achieve it, the location in which they work on a daily basis is changing. No longer confined to one location, more than half of the 1,092 people surveyed in the U.S. and Canada are working in three or more locations. This new data further validates earlier Intelligent Office findings that today’s workers want to be flexible, mobile and independent.
“This survey further identifies that today’s workers are continuing to shift towards a more personal and custom work style,” said Tom Camplese, Chief Operating Officer, Intelligent Office. “We are continuing to find that to maintain productivity while increasing mobility, a new breed of worker is conducting business on the go, and wants to be able to work more independently, from anywhere and at any time.”
Intelligent Office asked those respondents who are working outside of a traditional or home office what the appeal was of working in alternative locations and found:
- 70 percent work from alternative locations on a regular basis, with 22 percent visiting on a weekly basis
- 29 percent prefer other locations, like libraries, hotels, and restaurants
- 28 percent prefer going to a coffee shop to conduct work
- 49 percent spend between one to three hours at these locations
- The top things that people do while at these locations include:
- Work independently
- Work while traveling (business or personal)
- Hold meetings
Work IQ – The Next Work Place – was an online survey conducted by Intelligent Office and includes responses from 1,092 people located in the U.S. and Canada. As part of the survey, Intelligent Office also looked at specific geographies and found:
- 47 percent of Canadians working in alternative locations say that they do so on a weekly basis or more, versus 22 percent in the U.S.
- 64 percent of respondents in California are regularly working outside of their home and traditional office, as opposed to 39 percent in Florida
- Of the people regularly working in alternative locations in Arizona, 67 percent are doing so once a week or more, as opposed to 37 percent in New York state
- 50 percent of respondents in both Texas and Colorado are regularly working in alternative locations, versus just 37 percent in Ohio
In conjunction with the results of both of the Work IQ surveys, Intelligent Office has launched a microsite dedicated to the topic of work style and work place of the modern worker and can be found at http://www.intelligentoffice.com/virtual-office-work-iq.aspx.
About Intelligent Office
Intelligent Office is the leading virtual, professionally staffed office space for mobile executives and small businesses in North America. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colo., and has more than 50 franchises across the United States and Canada. Intelligent Office helps clients grow their businesses and work smarter by combining professional staffing with the physical and technological infrastructure of a virtual office. For more information on services, go to www.intelligentoffice.com. For information on domestic and international franchise opportunities, visit http://franchise.intelligentoffice.com. You can also follow Intelligent Office on Twitter at @IntelligentOfc, or visit the company on Facebook at www.facebook.com/IntelligentOffice.
For Intelligent Office
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances