GQ Names "Best New Menswear Designers in America" for 2013
Gap Partners with GQ and Designers to Create Second Limited-Edition Collection
March 15, 2013 // Franchising.com // New York, N.Y. – GQ announced today the seventh annual Best New Menswear Designers in America. The project, established in 2007, has worked to advance and bring attention to up-and-coming American menswear designers. This year’s group includes four highly regarded designers that were selected by GQ editor-in-chief Jim Nelson and creative director Jim Moore, along with the fashion editors of the magazine. As part of the project, the designers will be featured in the April 2013 issue of GQ and will collaborate with Gap on a limited-edition collection.
“The GQ Best New Designers class of 2013 is a force of nature—big on talent and able to produce menswear that translates globally,” said Moore. “Also, working with a devoted partner like Gap to help make the designers’ dreams become a reality makes us even more excited about the final collection.”
The 2013 Best New Menswear Designers in America selected by GQ are:
- Aviator Nation – Los Angeles designer Paige Mycoskie creates après-surf staples inspired by Venice Beach that are soft, sun-filtered, and evocative of summertime.
- Baldwin Denim – Originally a specialist at making denim feel as if it’s been genetically engineered just for you, Kansas City designer Matt Baldwin recently expanded his talents to include shirts, tees, and camo chinos.
- Bespoken – Inspired by their father’s legendary Turnbull & Asser brand, New York designers and brothers Liam and Sam Fayed deliver dress shirts and unstructured sports jackets that have a hard-rocking attitude coupled with a Savile Row–level attention to detail.
- Ernest Alexander – New York designer Ernest Alexander Sabine’smade-in-America collection, from its wave-print belts to waxed canvas bags, is rooted in traditional workwear but provides rugged updated essentials for modern men.
As part of their participation in the Best New Menswear Designers in America project, the recognized designers will take part in a mentoring program led by GQ. All four designers are also given the opportunity to create looks for a limited-edition Gap collection.
“After last year’s successful collaboration, we’re excited to partner with GQ to discover America’s emerging design talent,” said Tony Kretten, Gap Senior Menswear Design Director. “These four designers represent a diverse point of view in their chosen field, and we can’t wait to see how their ideas develop into this collection.”
The limited-edition collection will be available in the fall at selected global Gap stores, as well as at www.gap.com. Additionally, pieces from the collection will be featured in the October 2013 issue of GQ.
GQ is the leading men’s general-interest magazine, with a monthly readership of 7 million readers. It is available in print, online at GQ.com, and as an app at iTunes.com. The magazine is published by Condé Nast, a division of Advance Publications. Condé Nast operates in twenty-five countries and is the world leader in exceptional content creation.
Gap is a global apparel and accessories brand focused on delivering casual, American style. The brand offers classic, iconic clothing that helps customers express their individuality through its Gap, GapKids, babyGap, GapMaternity and GapBody collections. With an optimistic point of view and belief that everyone can make their creative mark in the world, Gap embodies what it means to be bright. Founded in San Francisco in 1969 by Donald G. Fisher and Doris F. Fisher, the brand has grown from one store to over 1,600 company-operated and franchise retail locations around the world. Gap is the namesake brand for leading global specialty retailer, Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) which includes Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime, Athleta, and Intermix. For more information, please visit www.gapinc.com.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances
- Business Services
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Financial Services
- Franchise Consultants
- Health and Wellness
- Home Services
- Moving and Storage
- Senior Care
- Service Brands
- Small Business