Wyndham Worldwide Achieves Substantial Reduction in Carbon Footprint in 2012
Global hospitality company releases yearly Sustainability Report, showcasing continued best practices.
September 20, 2013 // Franchising.com // Parsippany, N.J. – Wyndham Worldwide (NYSE:WYN), one of the world’s largest hospitality companies, again demonstrated its leadership in sustainability best practices in 2012, achieving nearly a 12 percent reduction in carbon emissions per square foot of its operationally controlled assets versus its carbon footprint in 2011.
The Company, which is working toward a goal to reduce its carbon emissions by 16 percent by 2016 and by 20 percent by 2020, announced this latest accomplishment in its third annual Sustainability Report released today.
“Advancing sustainability best practices remains among our top priorities not only because it’s good for the environment, but because it’s also good for business,” said Stephen P. Holmes, chairman and chief executive officer, Wyndham Worldwide. “This latest milestone of meaningfully reducing our carbon footprint is the result of collaboration across our organization, including our associates, suppliers, customers and business partners, who together continue to develop ideas with incredible potential and transform them into tangible results.”
In addition to reducing its carbon footprint, Wyndham Worldwide is also working to decrease its water usage by 20 percent per square foot by 2020. The Company’s first-ever water usage data collection and measurement process for all owned, managed and leased facilities for years ending 2010, 2011 and 2012, is featured in the Wyndham Worldwide 2012 Sustainability Report. The usage per square foot reflects a 1.7 percent improvement over 2011, and a five percent improvement over the 2010 baseline.
The report, which provides an overview of the Company’s sustainability initiatives as well as its corporate social responsibility programs, is accessible on the Company’s website and aligns with the Global Reporting Initiative, a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework that is widely used around the world. Additionally, the report’s Statement of Greenhouse Gas Emissions has been reviewed by Deloitte & Touche LLP. This Statement was prepared in conformance with the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard published by the World Business council for Sustainable Development and the World Resources Institute.
Highlights of Wyndham Worldwide’s 2012 report include:
- Co-led the development of a standard method for calculating carbon usage for hotels and resorts in the industry and launched the Hotel Carbon Measurement Initiative in partnership with more than 20 other hotel chains, the International Tourism Partnership and the World Travel & Tourism Council.
- Developed and executed a program that converted 46 percent of RCI North America’s direct mail circulation to email format from 2007-2012. RCI is part of the Wyndham Exchange & Rentals business unit. This reduced mailings by more than 8 million units and is estimated to equal a carbon reduction of more than 441,000 pounds.
- Continued to grow the Wyndham Vacation Ownership Green Certification Program, one of the first in the timeshare industry recognized by the American Resort Development Association. The program tracks 27 requirements in categories such as energy use, water use, waste reduction, indoor air quality and education. In 2012, 63 percent of WVO resorts (133 properties) earned the prestigious "Basic," "Silver," “Gold” or “Crystal” achievement levels. In 2013, WVO anticipates 160 properties will be certified.
- Supported the Arbor Day Foundation and its spring planting projects, focusing attention on forest lands lost to fires that burned so hot that seed source for future forests was lost. More than 170,000 longleaf pine, Jack pine, ponderosa pine, western larch, Douglas fir, Engelmann spruce and grand fir trees were planted.
- Continued its commitment to continually expand the Company’s green supply chain, as 25 percent of its total $1.2 billion spend in 2012 was with suppliers who met the Wyndham Green Supplier criteria. This is a 9 percent increase from 2011.
“As one of the largest hospitality companies with more than 100,000 locations in nearly 100 countries, we understand that as the global market continues to grow, it is our increasing responsibility as a corporate citizen to help shape sustainability innovation on the world stage,” said Faith Taylor, senior vice president, sustainability and innovation, Wyndham Worldwide. “Adding the goal of reducing water usage across all owned, managed and leased facilities further demonstrates our commitment to sustainability as a fundamental part of how we responsibly do business in communities around the world.”
For additional details on these highlights and to read the full report, please visit www.wyndhamworldwide.com/corporate-responsibility/wyndham-green/latest-news-reports/gri-report.
About Wyndham Worldwide
One of the world’s largest hospitality companies, Wyndham Worldwide (NYSE: WYN) provides a wide range of hospitality products and services through its global portfolio of world-renowned brands. The world’s largest hotel company based on the number of properties, Wyndham Hotel Group is home to many of the world’s best-known hotel brands, with over 7,410 franchised hotels and over 635,100 hotel rooms worldwide. Wyndham Exchange & Rentals is the worldwide leader in vacation exchange and the world’s largest professionally managed vacation rentals business, providing more than 5 million leisure-bound families annually with access to over 106,000 vacation properties in 100 countries through its prominent exchange and vacation rental brands. The industry and timeshare ownership market leader, Wyndham Vacation Ownership develops, markets, and sells vacation ownership interests and provides consumer financing to owners through its network of 190 vacation ownership resorts serving approximately 915,000 owners throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and the South Pacific. Based in Parsippany, NJ, Wyndham Worldwide employs approximately 32,500 associates globally.
For more information, please visit www.wyndhamworldwide.com.
SOURCE Wyndham Worldwide
Manager, Public Relations
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances