Tips for Winter Storm, Extreme Cold Safety from Paul Davis
January 09, 2014 // Franchising.com // Jacksonville, Fla. - While danger from winter weather varies, individuals and families may face challenges with heat, power and communications services. It is important to be prepared for family safety and to also protect your property from damage. Paul Davis Restoration, Inc., a national franchise company and leading provider of fire and water damage clean up and restoration services for residential and commercial properties, offers the following winter weather safety tips.
- Stay indoors and keep dry. If you must go outside, wear several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing. Wear mittens, a hat, and cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
- Walk carefully on snowy, icy walkways. Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow.
- Drive only if absolutely necessary. Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive.
- If a blizzard or cold weather traps you in the car, pull off the highway. Turn on hazard lights and hang a distress flag from the radio antenna or window.
- Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia which include loss of feeling, pale appearance, uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness, and apparent exhaustion.
- In case of power outage, have a battery or hand-crank powered weather radio and flashlights available if needed. Never use candles as a source of heat or light.
- When using electric heaters keep at least three feet from flammable objects. Conserve fuel by keeping your home and office cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms. If you will be going away, leave the heat no lower than 55ºF.
- Do not use the stove, oven or grill as a source of heat for your home.
- Go to a designated public shelter if your home loses power or heat during periods of extreme cold. Text SHELTER + your ZIP code to 43362 (4FEMA) to find the nearest shelter in your area.
- If a pipe bursts, shut off the water supply to the building.
- Contact a property damage restoration expert for damaged pipes and repairs along with checking the structural ability of the roof to sustain unusually heavy weight from the accumulation of snow or water.
About Paul Davis
Paul Davis Restoration, Inc. is a national franchisor and leading provider of restoration services for residential and commercial properties since 1966. Paul Davis Restoration also provides complete remodeling services and has franchise locations throughout North America with owners and technicians who are certified by The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).Visit the website at www.pauldavis.com.
SOURCE Paul Davis
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances
- Business Services
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Financial Services
- Franchise Consultants
- Health and Wellness
- Home Services
- Senior Care
- Service Brands
- Small Business