Tampa Researcher Wins Early Career Investigator Award from Coca-Cola
Tampa, Florida (PRWEB) March 11, 2014 - Macklin E. Guzmán, MPH, Director of Research & Development for Medi-Weightloss®, is a recipient of the 2013 Early Career Investigator Award. This award, given to foster and stimulate new research ideas in any area of investigation related to obesity, is bestowed by The Obesity Society (TOS) and funded with the support of the Coca-Cola Company.
Guzmán won this award based on his research at Medi-Weightloss® related to obesity, diabetes, and weight loss treatment. Findings from his research include:
- Weight loss has a positive effect on an important health indicator; there were significant improvements in patients’ HgA1c levels after weight loss.
- Accountability and social support results in greater weight loss. Cohabitating patients who joined the program lost more weight (24%) and stayed in the program longer (26%) than patients that joined the program alone.
- Adherence and frequency of visits positively affect weight loss. Patients who maintained regular visits with a healthcare provider lost a greater percentage of their body weight (15.4% vs. 9.6%) and stayed in the program longer than patients who had more sporadic visits.
- Assessing body composition is an important aspect of medical weight management. A positive association between fat loss and length of stay in the Medi-Weightloss® Program.
Guzmán will travel to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to present his research findings at the 12th International Congress on Obesity (ICO) from March 17-20, 2014. The ICO is a venue for obesity experts from around the globe to share experiences, garner knowledge, and seek practical solutions on the quest to prevent the escalation of the global obesity epidemic.
About Macklin Guzmán, MPH
With more than 13 years of experience in the healthcare field, Guzmán leads clinical research (translational and outcomes) for Medi-Weightloss® and supports development of new programs and services.
He is a member of the American Public Health Association, The Obesity Society, and the American Society of Bariatric Physicians. He holds a Master of Public Health degree, concentrating on health policy and administration and epidemiology, from Yale University and a bachelor’s degree from Brandeis University. He is pursuing his Doctor of Health Science (DHSc) degree through Nova Southeastern University.
In addition to the Early Investigator Award, Macklin’s research was a finalist in the Clinical Management of Obesity Section, 2013 Poster Competition at The Obesity Society’s annual meeting in Atlanta, GA.
Established in 2005, Medi-Weightloss® offers a physician-supervised weight loss program known as The One That Works!® Physicians and medical professionals provide individualized care based on patients’ goals, health, and medical history. The program includes weekly consultations that focus on nutrition, lifestyle, and exercise. In addition to a weight loss programs for adults, resulting in over 2.6 million pounds lost nationwide, Medi-Weightloss® offers specialized weight loss programs for adolescents and diabetics. The company also offers Corporate Wellness programs, exercise equipment, and Signature Supplements & Products.
The Medi-Weightloss® franchise opportunity allows physicians and investors to offer the nation’s premier medical weight loss program. There are nearly 80 locations in the U.S., with two opening in the Middle East in 2014.
VP of Marketing & PR
+1 (813) 228-6334 Ext: 369
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances