Fix A Leak Week with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing®
March 18, 2014 // Franchising.com // The EPA estimates more than one trillion gallons of water is wasted each year in U.S. homes. The biggest culprits are drippy faucets, leaky valves and worn toilet flappers. You can save money and help the environment by fixing those leaks during Fix a Leak Week, which runs March 17-23, 2014.
Plumbers with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® recommend doing a quick leak checkup.
- On your water bill: A typical family of four should use no more than 12,000 gallons of water in the winter. If you use more, you could have a leak.
- Check your water heater and all exposed piping for corrosion or discoloration usually indicating a slow leak.
- Your toilets: Add a drop of food coloring in your toilet tank. If the color appears in your toilet bowl without flushing, you could also have a leak.
- On your water meter: Note the exact reading of the dial. Don’t run any water or flush your toilets for an hour, then recheck your meter. If it moved you likely have an underground leak. This requires immediate professional attention.
Most common leaks are inexpensive and easy to fix.
- For leaky faucets and showerheads: make sure your washers and gaskets are tight. Replace them if they are worn with newer water efficient options.
- The most common cause of a leaking toilet is often the inexpensive, rubber flapper. Check for wear and replace if needed. Plumbers have professional grade products that can outlast store bought parts.
- Outside: inspect your irrigation system and your garden hose. The spigot where the hose is attached to your home is a common leak spot. Tighten or replace the rubber hose washer. Use Teflon® tape on the leaking area and gently tighten with a wrench. ** Over tightening any fitting can actually cause a leak or damage your plumbing.
The EPA says fixing easily corrected leaks can save you about 10 percent of your water bill.  Remember Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers complete installation, repair and emergency plumbing services for your home.
For more water saving tips contact your local Benjamin Franklin Plumbing.
About Benjamin Franklin Plumbing
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is currently ranked by Entrepreneur magazine was one of the top 500 franchise companies #346 (2014.) A customer’s time is the No. 1 priority for Benjamin Franklin Plumbing®. The franchise offers customers on-time plumber services, replacement and repairs done right the first time with courtesy, convenience, cleanliness, competence and character.
SOURCE Benjamin Franklin Plumbing