Freshen Your Closet this Spring with Tips from The Maids
May 13, 2014 // Franchising.com // Admit it: There are items lurking there that haven’t seen the light of day in a very long time.
Follow these tips from the cleaning experts at The Maids, the only franchised residential cleaning service to clean for health, to rejuvenate your wardrobe and your storage spaces.
- It’s time to be ruthless and save only the items that you are excited to own and wear. Alternately, follow the one-year rule (or the two-year rule if you are a softie) and get rid of everything you haven’t worn in that time period. The only exemptions should be for garments that hold special meaning for you.
Gently worn items can be sold or donated to charitable organizations. Or, gather friends together for a clothing swap.
- Some people might prefer to take everything out of the closet to begin the cleaning process. But if that sounds overwhelming, plan to break up the cleaning task over a few days. Sort out shoes one day, pants and skirts on another, and so on until you have examined everything. Launder any items that need it.
- Organize the space in a way that makes sense to you. For instance, place warm-weather clothing on one side and cool-weather items on the other. Place like items together: all pants in one area, all jackets in another. Or you can group items by color.
- Use containers to extend your space. See-through boxes are perfect for scarves, belts and jewelry. Hat boxes and old suitcases add personality to the space.
- Vacuum or mop the floor; use a disinfectant to wipe down metal shelves and handles; and line drawers with paper.
- If your closet is still full when you are finished cleaning, promise yourself that nothing new will go in until something old comes out.
About The Maids
Known for its 22-Step Healthy Touch® Deep Cleaning System, The Maids is the only franchised residential cleaning service to clean for health, combining environmentally preferable cleaning supplies and state-of-the-art equipment with a methodical process to maintain the healthiest living environment possible for families. The Maids enjoys a 96 percent customer referral rate, distinguishing them as the residential cleaning service of choice. Visit The Maids (www.maids.com) for more information.
SOURCE The Maids