Rainbow International Offers Tips on What to Do Before During and After a Flood Disaster
Be Prepared to Act Quickly When Flooding Occurs
WACO, TX - (Marketwired - July 18, 2014) - Soaked rugs, damaged walls, warped flooring and ruined furniture are only the beginning of what homeowners in the Midwestern and Northeastern states dealt with after recent flood waters hit their area. Flooding can happen anywhere and be caused by heavy rains, severe storms, poor drainage, plumbing issues, and other water-related issues. The key is to be prepared and take quick action when a flood disaster occurs.
Rainbow International offers these general suggestions on how to be prepared before, during and after a flood:
- Check with an insurance agent about flood insurance for the home.
- Prepare a home inventory of furniture and valuables in the home, including details and pictures.
- Put together a family emergency plan and make sure everyone in the household knows what to do.
- If you live in a high-risk flood area, prepare an emergency kit, including insurance policy numbers and phone numbers, a change of clothes for each family member, essential toiletries, bottled water and non-perishable food items, flashlights, batteries, blankets, first aid kit, disposable cleaning cloths, insect repellent, and enough cash to last you a few days.
- If you have a leak in your home, have it repaired immediately. Waiting to do repairs often results in flooding that causes structure or mold damage to your home.
- Watch the weather for high amounts of rain in a short time period or tropical storms headed your way. Listen carefully to advisories, follow directions from local officials, and evacuate if needed.
- If you have a second floor or large attic, move special furniture, family photographs, area rugs, computers, televisions, artwork, and other expensive items to a higher level to keep them dry.
- If flooding is about to reach your home, shut off the electricity, gas, and water to your home. However, never touch electrical sources if you are standing in water.
- Never walk or drive through high floodwaters.
- Act quickly. Report damage to your insurance agent or company as soon as possible to begin processing the claim immediately so restoration process can begin.
- Take photos of the damaged areas both inside and outside to document the damage and give to your insurance agents.
- Never turn on the electrical power to your home until a professional makes sure it's safe to do so.
- Be patient and never use a home vacuum to remove water since electrical shock can result, as well as damage to the equipment. Let the restoration professionals do the cleanup.
"The number-one goal in a flooding disaster is for families to stay safe," said Rainbow International President Mark Welstead. "Then, it's important to act quickly to begin the cleanup and restoration process to prevent further damage in the home."
For information on preparing for and dealing with a flood in your area, contact your local Rainbow International or visit RainbowIntl.com.
About Rainbow International®
Established in 1981, Rainbow International is a global franchise organization providing residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Rainbow International franchisees offer a broad range of damage restoration services (ranging from water, smoke and fire damage to carpet and upholstery cleaning and deodorization) to more than 400 locations worldwide. The new Rapid Structural Drying Network of Rainbow International has established a network of elite water loss mitigation franchises across the United States. Rainbow International is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc., family of service franchises. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit RainbowIntl.com.
SOURCE Rainbow International
Rainbow International® Public Relations Manager
P: (254) 537-0609
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances