Breakfast Powerhouse Bojangles' Names Winners of 2014 Master Biscuit Maker Challenge
Bojangles' Team Members Win Culinary Competition Celebrating Company's Commitment to Crafting Made-from-Scratch Buttermilk Biscuits.
November 14, 2014 // Franchising.com // Charlotte, N.C. - Bojangles', the home of the original made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuit, has named the winners of the 2014 Master Biscuit Maker Challenge, the annual tradition which brings together team members from across the Southeast to compete for the honor of being named one of the best master biscuit makers from more than 600 Bojangles' restaurants. Following the final round of competition held Nov. 11-13 at the Bojangles' test kitchen in Charlotte, N.C., Travis Squire of Winston-Salem, N.C., was named Master Biscuit Maker from Bojangles' company-owned restaurants and Edith Chavez of Yadkinville, N.C., earned this year's title for Bojangles' franchised locations.
"Bojangles' is committed to honoring traditional Southern recipes and our annual Master Biscuit Maker Challenge is a great example of our dedication to staying true to our original biscuit-making process," said Bojangles' President and CEO Clifton Rutledge. "Our founders created our delicious biscuit recipe back in 1977 and our biscuit makers, including this year's Master Biscuit Maker champions, have been serving our 'biscuit magic' to our loyal customers ever since. "
Now in its 18th year, Bojangles' Master Biscuit Maker Challenge judges each certified biscuit maker's ability to adhere to Bojangles' unique, 48-step biscuit recipe - which does not include the use of water, freezers or microwaves - taking into account the size, shape and time it takes to complete the process without sacrificing quality. Master Biscuit Maker finalists, including eight finalists from company-owned locations and nine from franchised restaurants - are those who have earned the highest scores out of hundreds of Bojangles' biscuit makers at the individual restaurant, area and regional levels of competition. This year's finalists included:
- Maria Cabrera from 5628 Fulton Industrial Blvd. Bojangles' in Atlanta, Ga.
- Edith Chavez from 624 S. State St. in Yadkinville, N.C.
- Leah Harlow from 555 W. Roosevelt Blvd. in Monroe, N.C.
- Kendra Ledbetter from 20430 Virgil H. Goode Hwy. Bojangles' in Rocky Mount, Va.
- Sonia Lewis from 3737 High Point Rd. Bojangles' in Greensboro, N.C.
- Carolyn McKindra from 1836 Tiny Town Rd. in Clarksville, Tenn.
- Ricky McQuillar from 846 S. Irby St. Bojangles' in Florence, S.C.
- Nicholas Nolan from 7661 Raeford Rd. Bojangles' in Fayetteville, N.C.
- Marcelina Ramirez from 7155 Market St. Bojangles' in Wilmington, N.C.
- Travis Roebuck from 211 N. Main St. Bojangles' in Boiling Springs, N.C.
- Chris Sellers from 734 Champion Dr. Bojangles' in Canton, N.C.
- Andrea Simpson from 310 Springdale Dr. Bojangles' in Clinton, S.C.
- Nikki Smalls from 109 Robert Smalls Pkwy. Bojangles' in Beaufort, S.C.
- Travis Squire from 1535 Peters Creek Pkwy. in Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Mary Stanley from 1158 International Dr. Bojangles' in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Chandrea Stephens from 31 Holmes Dr. Bojangles' in Oxford, Ala.
- Amber Ware from 123 Elbert St. Bojangles' in Elberton, Ga.
As the winners of the 2014 Master Biscuit Maker Challenge, Squire and Chavez are each presented a coveted Master Biscuit Maker trophy and cash prize of $2,500. Each of the finalists in this year's competition received a trophy and a $250 cash prize.
Trained and certified biscuit makers, including those in this year's Master Biscuit Maker Challenge, help to serve Bojangles' delicious breakfast menu, including biscuits, all day, every day starting no later than 5:30 a.m. Bojangles' biscuits are made by hand using fat-free buttermilk and baked fresh in an oven every 20 minutes.
For more information about Bojangles', please visit www.Bojangles.com and for the latest updates from Bojangles' official Twitter newsroom, follow @BojanglesNews.
Founded in 1977 in Charlotte, N.C., Bojangles' Restaurants Inc. serves unique menu items honoring traditional, Southern recipes, such as delicious, world-famous chicken, made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuits, flavorful fixin's and Legendary Iced Tea®. Bojangles' boasts more than 600 locations in 10 states, primarily in the Southeast, and the District of Columbia as well as three international restaurants. For more information, visit www.bojangles.com or follow Bojangles' on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.