Holiday Safety Tips From Paul Davis to Prevent House Fires
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Nov. 20, 2014 // GLOBE NEWSWIRE // - Paul Davis Restoration, Inc., a national franchise company and leader in property damage for residential and commercial buildings, wants to help make your holiday safer. Winter is the most prevalent season for house fires, but knowing the facts and implementing safety tips will make your holiday more enjoyable and safer for your family.
In 2013, U.S. fire departments responded to a fire every 25 seconds with over 1.2 million fires, which accounted for approximately $11.5 billion in property damage. The holidays are peak time for home fires due to electrical failures, dry trees, space heaters, fireplaces, candles, holiday lights, and cooking equipment. Visit the website at www.nfpa.org.
To help avoid holiday fires and protect your family, here are a few tips:
Trees: Water your holiday tree often, ensure there are no faulty lights, and keep the tree away from heat sources like fireplaces and space heaters.
- This NFPA Video shows just how flammable a dry tree is versus one that is watered regularly.
- Consider a 'fire resistant' artificial tree instead.
Holiday Lights: Check for melted or damaged wires/plugs on your holiday light strands and turn all lights off while away from home.
Cooking: Turn pot handles inwards to prevent accidents in the kitchen. Avoid wearing loose clothing which can ignite easily. Don't store items on the stove.
- The leading cause of home structure fires is from cooking and accounts for two out of every five house fires.
- Designate the kitchen as a "kid-free zone," especially during the holidays.
Fireplace: Hanging stockings in front of the fireplace is a common practice, but make sure stockings are hung elsewhere while the fireplace is in use.
- Fireplace screens or glass doors are good investments, especially when children are in the house. Candles: Keep candles out of the reach of children and blow each out before exiting your home.
- Electrical candles are great alternatives and give a similar effect. Fire Escape Plan: Know your escape routes and practice with family members. Purchase fire extinguishers for every floor of the home and test smoke detectors.
Emergency Preparedness Kit: Keep contact numbers handy for first responders, doctors, and insurance carriers. In case of destruction to your home, contact a licensed, property damage restoration company.
About Paul Davis
Paul Davis Restoration, Inc. is a national franchisor and leading provider of restoration services for residential and commercial properties since 1966. Paul Davis Restoration also provides complete remodeling services and has franchise locations throughout North America with owners and technicians who are certified by The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). Visit the website at www.pauldavis.com.
SOURCE Paul Davis
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances