March 27, 2015 // Franchising.com // London, UK - InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®), one of the world’s leading hotel companies, has published an update on progress against its 2013-2017 Corporate Responsibility (CR) targets.
First announced in September 2013 to reinforce IHG’s long-term commitment to doing business responsibly, the targets were designed to measure our impact where it has the most influence on improving people’s lives – the environment and local communities. IHG’s progress against its targets has been driven through IHG’s three core CR programmes – IHG Green Engage™ system; IHG® Academy and IHG® Shelter in a Storm.
Richard Solomons, Chief Executive of IHG commented: “At IHG we have the global scale to be able to make a positive impact on the world around us. Doing the right thing for the environment and in the local communities where we operate remains central to our business. We are proud of the progress we have delivered on our CR targets and are ambitious about what we can achieve in the future.”
IHG’s group-wide online sustainability system, IHG Green Engage™, helps us to address issues such as climate change, water scarcity and environmental degradation. It allows hotels to measure and report on their carbon footprint and utility consumption, recommending more than 200 ‘Green Solutions’ to help hotels deliver greater sustainability. The system also enables hotels to create environmental action plans and targets, and generates energy savings of up to 25% for the average hotel.
- Reduce carbon footprint per occupied room by 12%*
- Reduce water use per occupied room in water-stressed areas by 12%*
- IHG Green Engage™ announced as a brand standard, with IHG’s entire estate now enrolled in the system – a powerful demonstration of IHG’s commitment to protecting the environment
- Over 20,000 Green Solutions implemented through the IHG Green Engage™ system; nearly 75,000 since its launch
- A 3% reduction in carbon footprint per occupied room *; 23% of 2013-17 target now complete
- A 4.2% reduction in water use per occupied room in water-stressed areas *; 37% of 2013-17 now complete
Recognising the close links between IHG’s success and the wellbeing of those who work in and around our hotels, we continue to make a positive difference in local communities. We create real-life career-building experiences though IHG® Academy and offer relief to colleagues and local communities affected by disasters, with IHG® Shelter in a Storm.
- Provide skills and improved employability to 20,000 people via IHG® Academy
- Contribute $10 million to communities through monetary donations and in-kind support including through IHG® Shelter in a Storm
- Doubled number of IHG® Academy programmes to over 600 in nearly 60 countries during 2014
- Nearly 7,000 people globally benefited from participating in IHG® Academy programmes; more than 13,000 since 2013 – 65% of 2013-17 target complete
- Responded to 18 disasters in 9 countries through IHG® Shelter in a Storm in 2014
- Contributed $6.2 million to communities in 2014; $8.1 million since 2013 – 81% of 2013-17 target complete
IHG’s 2014 Responsible Business Report is available online at www.ihgplc.com/responsiblebusiness
* From a 2012 baseline
IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of hotel brands, including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, HUALUXE® Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo®, EVEN™ Hotels, Holiday Inn® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites®. In January 2015, IHG acquired Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, the world's leading boutique hotel business.
IHG manages IHG® Rewards Club, the world's first and largest hotel loyalty programme with over 84 million members worldwide. The programme was relaunched in July 2013, offering enhanced benefits for members including free internet across all hotels, globally.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns over 4,800 hotels and more than 710,000 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries, with over 1,200 hotels in its development pipeline. Over 350,000 people work across IHG's hotels and corporate offices worldwide.
In January 2015 we completed the acquisition of Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, adding 62 hotels (11,300 rooms) to our system size and 16 hotels to our development pipeline.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group's holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales.
Visit www.ihg.com for hotel information and reservations and www.ihgrewardsclub.com for more on IHG Rewards Club. For our latest news, visit: www.ihg.com/media, www.twitter.com/ihg, www.facebook.com/ihg or www.youtube.com/ihgplc.
SOURCE IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group)