Starwood Hotels’ Reimagined Extended-Stay Element Brand Gains Significant Momentum in North America
Leading the Way as Starwood’s Eco-Innovation Lab, Element is on Track to More Than Double its Dynamic North America Portfolio by the end of 2018
STAMFORD, Conn. - April 25, 2016 - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT) today announced it will significantly expand its Element Hotels portfolio in North America due to soaring demand for the stylish, sustainable brand. On track to more than double its North America footprint over the next three years, Element will open another 22 hotels across the U.S. and Canada by 2018 including debuts in Philadelphia, Charleston and Nashville.
“Element Hotels is experiencing unprecedented growth momentum throughout North America, as well as in a number of key global markets, due to the widespread appeal of the brand’s distinct lifestyle positioning,” said Brian McGuinness, Global Brand Leader, Specialty Select Brands for Starwood. “Sustainability is no longer optional; it’s become a requirement among a growing number of travelers worldwide, and Element is the perfect choice with its clean, modern design and eco-conscious programming.”
Over the past 12 months, Element has opened new hotels in Boston, Miami, Fargo, Bozeman, Basalt, and Vancouver. The brand will pick up even more momentum in North America by entering numerous new markets by the end of 2018, including Chandler, Ariz.; San Antonio, Texas; Moline, Ill.; Syracuse, N.Y.; Bentonville, Ark.; and Huntsville, Ala. The brand will also triple its portfolio in Texas from two hotels to eight hotels by the end of 2018.
Demand is also on the rise for dual-branded hotel developments featuring Starwood’s Aloft and Element brands in key metropolitan markets. Across North America, Starwood will open Aloft and Element hotel projects in Syracuse, N.Y. (Aloft 2016, Element 2018); Austin, Texas (2017); Dallas, Texas (2017); Redmond, Wash. (2017); and Charleston, S.C. (2018).
“Element is seeing tremendous success as conditions for new hotel development continue to improve and owners and developers embrace the versatile brand’s emphasis on smart, sustainable living,” said Allison Reid, Senior Vice President of North America Development, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. “The innovative Element brand has consistently outperformed its competitive set by offering an entirely fresh perspective on reimagined lodging, and we expect it will continue to grow rapidly in both urban and suburban markets throughout North America and beyond.”
New Element hotels slated to open by the end of 2018 include:
- Element Calgary Airport – (Alberta, Canada) – September 2016 – Offering 142 rooms and more than 2,300 square feet of meeting space, Element Calgary Airport is a convenient shuttle ride away from Calgary International Airport (YYC) and within close proximity of the city’s downtown. Guests will enjoy Calgary Tower views and easy access to top attractions, including the Glenbow Museum, the Flames’ Scotiabank Saddledome, the Calgary Zoo and the Calgary Stampede.
Element Chandler Fashion Center – (Chandler, Ariz.) – January 2017 – Element Chandler will be situated next to the Chandler Fashion Center, one of the largest malls in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. The brand’s first hotel to open in Arizona, Element Chandler will feature 107 rooms and 600 square feet of meeting space, an outdoor pool and a fitness center. Easily accessible from both Santan Freeway and Loop 101 Price Freeway, the hotel is 10 minutes from Wild Horse Pass, 20 minutes from Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), and less than 30 minutes from downtown Phoenix and Arizona State University.
- Element Dallas Love Field – (Dallas, Texas) – February 2017 – Element Dallas Love Field will anchor a new upscale mixed-use development just one mile from Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL) and the Dallas Medical District. Part of a dual-branded hotel complex, the 91-room Element Dallas Love Field will share facilities with Aloft Dallas Love Field, including 6,500 square feet of meeting space, an outdoor swimming pool and a state-of-the-art fitness center. The hotel boasts a prime location with West Love, a 37-acre mixed-use development close to downtown Dallas, the Dallas Medical District, the Design District, the shops and restaurants at Dallas Market Center and AT&T Stadium all nearby
- Element Huntsville – (Huntsville, Ala.) – March 2017 – Element Huntsville will join The Westin Huntsville just west of downtown and easily accessible from Interstate 565. The 150-room Element will be a key component of Huntsville's Bridge Street Town Centre, a mixed-use outdoor lifestyle center with more than 70 upscale shops and full-service restaurants. Close to the University of Alabama (Huntsville) and Redstone Arsenal Military Base, the hotel is also convenient to several corporate offices including Northrop Grumman, Boeing, and the Raytheon Company. Element Huntsville will offer 800 square feet of meeting space and share amenities with the Westin, including a pool, fitness center and parking.
- Element Moline – (Moline, Ill.) – April 2017 – Element Moline will transform the historic O’Rourke Building as part of Moline’s ongoing efforts to revitalize and reinvigorate its riverfront and downtown. The building will include 5,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and café space. Element Moline will offer 90 rooms, 900 square feet of meeting space and proximity to the headquarters of Deere & Company, the U.S. Department of Defense, Rock Island Arsenal, Alcoa, United Healthcare, Kraft Foods and top area attractions such as the iWireless Center and John Deere Pavilion.
- Element Redmond – (Redmond, Wash.) – May 2017 – The 124-room Element Redmond will open along with the 150-room Aloft Redmond just outside the campus for Microsoft Corporation’s world headquarters. The Aloft and Element hotel development will be located within Esterra Park, a campus-style, master-planned development with 1.2 million square feet of commercial office space, 1,400 residential units and a Link light-rail station slated to open in 2023. Easily accessible from the I-5 Freeway, the hotels are close to both Redmond’s shopping district and downtown Bellevue. Aloft Redmond and Element Redmond will face a common courtyard and each feature separate branded lobbies. Shared facilities will include 6,500 square feet of state-of-the-art meeting space, an outdoor pool, a fitness facility and parking.
- Element Austin Downtown – (Austin, Texas) – August 2017 –The dual-branded Aloft and Element Austin Downtown hotel development will include a restaurant and bar with outdoor dining along historic Congress Avenue. The 270-room Aloft and 144-room Element will be walking distance to the live music venues, restaurants and shops in the city’s renowned 6th Street Entertainment District. Also nearby are the Warehouse District, the 2nd Street District, the Austin Convention Center, the University of Texas – Austin campus and the Texas State Capitol Building. The hotels will share amenities including a beautiful street-level terrace overlooking Congress Avenue, an oversized 24-hour fitness center and approximately 3,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, ideal for both business meetings and social gatherings.
- Element Palmdale – (Palmdale, Calif.) – October 2017 –Element Palmdale will be just five minutes from downtown Palmdale and close to attractions such as Blackbird Airpark Museum and Air Force Flight Test Historical Museum. The largest city in Antelope Valley, Palmdale is approximately one hour from Los Angeles, Burbank and Pasadena. The 123-room Element will offer more than 800 square feet of flexible meeting space, a 24-hour fitness center and all the brand’s signature amenities.
- Element Fort Lauderdale Downtown – (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) – December 2017 – The 150-room Element Fort Lauderdale Downtown will anchor a new upscale lifestyle center at the heart of the city’s central business district. It will be part of a dual-hotel development along with the 209-room Fort Lauderdale Downtown, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel. The hotels will share more than 12,000 square feet of meeting space and other amenities and will be part of a mixed-use complex with 14,000 square feet of street-level retail space.
- Element Philadelphia – (Philadelphia, Pa.) – January 2018 – The first-ever W and Element dual-branded hotel development, W Philadelphia and Element Philadelphia will occupy a 51-story skyscraper directly across from Philadelphia City Hall. The 460-room Element Philadelphia will feature a 1,400 square foot breakfast and lounge area, a fitness center and 431 square feet of branded meeting space. Walking distance from both Suburban Station and the Broad Street entrance to the Pennsylvania Convention Center, the hotel is also close to top city attractions such as the Avenue of the Arts, Liberty Bell, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the galleries, restaurants and boutiques along Walnut Street, Chestnut Street and Rittenhouse Row.
- Element Nashville West End – (Nashville, Tenn.) – January 2018 – Element Nashville West End is slated to open in 2018 in a prime location at oneC1TY, just minutes from Vanderbilt University, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Centennial Park, HCA, the Country Music Hall of Fame and the nightclubs and entertainment venues downtown and on Music Row. Located at the entry to oneC1TY Nashville off the 28th / 31st Avenue Connector just 15 minutes from Nashville International Airport (BNA), the hotel will feature 169 rooms, 560 square feet of meeting space and all the brand’s signature amenities and services.
- Element San Antonio Airport – (San Antonio, Texas) – March 2018 – Element San Antonio Airport will be located at the intersection of Highway 281 and Wurzbach Parkway, just one mile from San Antonio International Airport (SAT). The hotel will feature 123 rooms, 838 square feet of meeting space, an outdoor pool and a fitness center. Nearby attractions include the historic Alamo, San Antonio Zoo, and the shops and restaurants along the downtown Riverwalk.
- Element Katy – (Katy, Texas) – March 2018 – Ideally located within the Houston energy corridor, Element Katy will feature 135 guest rooms, 2,500 square feet of meeting space, an outdoor pool and a fitness center. The new Element is part of the new Grand Crossing development, a mixed-use complex that will include residential units, offices, restaurants and shops, as well as parks, two ponds and a network of walking trails. The hotel will offer convenient access to the offices of numerous corporations, Katy Mills Mall and the LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch development.
- Element Syracuse Inner Harbor – (Syracuse, N.Y.) – April 2018 – Part of an Aloft and Element hotel development, Element Syracuse Inner Harbor will offer a convenient location just a short walk to Destiny USA Center, a major shopping and entertainment destination. Guests will enjoy easy access to nearby attractions including Armory Square, a historic and refurbished area of the city containing shops and restaurants; the Everson Museum of Art; the Rubenstein Museum of Science and Technology; and Washington Square Park. Featuring 123 stylish, sustainable rooms and suites and 470 square feet of meeting space, the hotel will be just over one mile from downtown Syracuse, approximately two miles from both Syracuse University and SUNY Upstate Medical University.
- Element Charleston Historic Downtown - (Charleston, S.C.) – May 2018 – Element Charleston Historic Downtown will open at 600 Meeting Street within the city’s newest lifestyle center as part of an Aloft and Element hotel development. The 86-room Aloft and 88-room Element will share an expansive rooftop deck and pool area, a 24-hour fitness center and 2,000 square feet of flexible meeting space. The new lifestyle center will also include 40,000 square feet of premium office space and a rooftop restaurant and bar with sweeping views of the Cooper River and the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge. Guests will be within walking distance of the city’s historic center, the open-air Charleston City Market, the Charleston Museum, and the boutiques, galleries and restaurants on King Street.
- Element Dallas East – (Dallas, Texas) – July 2018 – Element Dallas East will transform a seven-story medical office building located at the corner of Gaston Avenue and Hall Street, just across from the Baylor University Medical Center campus. A short drive from Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL), the hotel is close to the shops and restaurants in Uptown Dallas, the Design District, Oak Lawn, Victory Park and Dallas Convention Center. The 151-room Element will offer 3,754 square-feet of meeting space, a state-of-the-art 24-hour fitness center and an outdoor pool.
- Element Spring Valley – (Spring Valley, N.Y.) – September 2018 – Element Spring Valley will boast a prime location in the Spring Valley Marketplace. Easily accessible from I-87, I-287 and the Garden State Parkway, the new Element will feature 87 rooms, 500 square feet of meeting space and all the brand’s signature services and amenities. Nearby attractions include the Palisades Mall, the Shops at Nanuet, the campuses of several colleges and universities, and numerous businesses, including Pfizer Corporation.
As the first major hotel brand to mandate that all properties pursue sustainable certifications, Element is recognized as an industry leader in the eco-space and offers travelers a fresh, completely reimagined hotel experience. Element Hotels feature natural light, modern design, healthy options and eco-minded sensibilities. Guests can fuel their day with the healthy RISE breakfast and wind down with the RELAX evening wine reception – both complimentary. Spacious studios and one-bedroom suites feature a fluid design of modular furniture, flat-screen LED televisions ranging from 40 to 65 inches, large desks with open shelving, and custom-designed closets. Rooms also include fully equipped kitchens and the signature Heavenly® Bed, while spa-inspired bathrooms feature an invigorating rain shower and dual-flush toilet. Staying on the move is easy with complimentary bikes to borrow and a state-of-the-art 24-hour fitness center. Fast and free WiFi is available throughout every hotel.
Additionally, the Element brand continues to fuel growth worldwide. Following openings in Amsterdam, London and Jiangsu, China, Element is set to debut in London and Tanzania in 2017, and open two more hotels in China, three in the Middle East and two more in Canada by the end of 2018.
For more information, visit www.ElementHotels.com or connect on Facebook.
About Element Hotels
Element® Hotels is made to order for guests in the know and on the go. Its bright design defies convention, bathing guest rooms and public spaces in natural light. Stylish and sustainable throughout, Element offers extended stay comfort with a conscience and lots of signature amenities from its healthy RISE breakfast and RELAX evening reception to saline swimming pools, spacious fitness centers, bikes to borrow and electric vehicle charging stations. Starwood’s latest brand innovation, Element made history in 2008 as the only major hotel brand to pursue LEED certification for high-performance buildings brand-wide. To date, there are 22 Element Hotels worldwide, with 19 in North America, two in Europe, one in Asia Pacific with new domestic and international hotels in development. Visit www.ElementHotels.com or connect on Facebook.
SOURCE Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.