Wendy's High School Heisman Recognizes Midwest Region Seniors For Never Cutting Corners
2016 National Program State Winners Receive College Scholarship, Advance in Competition
DUBLIN, Ohio, Oct. 20, 2016 // PRNewswire // -- Wendy's® High School Heisman® continues to honor high school seniors who never settle, dig deeper and reach higher by announcing the male and female State Winners from the Midwest region. Competing against hundreds of other student athletes from across their region, these seniors embodied the Wendy's High School Heisman values, qualifying them to advance to the next level of National Finalist and compete for the title of National Winners.
For the first time in Heisman history, State Winners will receive a $1,000 college scholarship if they don't advance to the National Finalist round, in addition to receiving a silver medal, Wendy's High School Heisman State Winner patch, and a $50 Wendy's gift card.
"As a former Heisman winner, I know the level of dedication and work that these students have to put into their high school careers to get to this stage of the program," said Eddie George, Wendy's High School Heisman ambassador and Heisman Trophy Winner. "For over twenty yearsWendy's has helped recognize these students' efforts in their pursuit of athletic and academic excellence and it's exciting for me to be a part of that tradition."
Midwest Region's Wendy's High School Heisman State Winners:
- Tyler White, Golf, Mundelein Cons High School, Mundelein
- Hannah E. Daab, Cross Country, New Athens High School, New Athens
- Cortney Ruth VanLiew, Volleyball, Columbus East High School, Columbus
- Robert Dustin Brown, Football, Monroe Central Jr-Sr High School, Parker City
- Kelsey Ann Hora, Basketball, Highland High School, Riverside
- Samuel Benjamin Schillinger, Cross Country, Cedar Falls High School, Cedar Falls
- Davis John Dubbert, Basketball, St. John's Catholic High School, Beloit
- Holly Elizabeth Shinn, Volleyball, Uniontown High School, Uniontown
- Nikki T. Sorgi, Softball, Henry Ford II High School, Sterling Heights
- Jason Whitens, Basketball, North Central Area Junior/Senior High School, Powers
- Kiera Nicole Olson, Cross Country, Fillmore Central Senior High School, Harmony
- Jacob Ryan Brown, Football, Hastings High School, Hastings
- Andrew Michael Edgar, Football, Marceline High School, Marceline
- Bailey Owens, Basketball, Mercer High School, Mercer
- Lane Matthew McCallum, Football, Norfolk Senior High School, Norfolk
- Madison D. Myers, Basketball, Grand Island Central Catholic, Grand Island
- Jayden Andrew Komrosky, Baseball, North Star High School, Cando
- Kari Bea Wolfe, Volleyball, Harvey High School, Harvey
- Joseph Paul Pavlak, Swimming, Wadsworth High School, Wadsworth
- Makayla Lynn Trebella, Track & Field, Girard Sr. High School, Girard
- Myah Alexandra Selland, Basketball, Sanborn Central High School, Forestburg
- Lucas Harold Julian, Cross Country, Rapid City Catholic School System, Rapid City
- Amanda Lynn Kind, Volleyball, Marathon High School, Marathon
- Alexander Earl Carter, Cross Country, Oconomowoc High School, Oconomowoc
Since 1994, Wendy's has been firmly committed to recognizing young men and women who believe that good enough is never really good enough. Through the Wendy's High School Heisman program, Wendy's and the Heisman Trophy Trust have honored more than 600,000 of the nation's most esteemed students, profiling their stories of perseverance to inspire the senior class of tomorrow.
The ten National Finalist, five senior males and five senior females, will be announced on November 7. National Finalists receive an invitation to the Wendy's High School Heisman Weekend, including the National Awards Banquet in New York City, a gold medal, and a Wendy's High School Heisman National Finalist Heisman patch. The eight National Finalists who do not go on to become a National Winner will receive a$100 Wendy's gift card and a $5,000 college scholarship. The two National Winners, who will receive a Wendy's High School Heisman Trophy, a National Winner patch, a $500 Wendy's gift card and a $10,000 college scholarship, will be announced on December 9 and recognized duringESPN's national telecast of the college Heisman Memorial Trophy presentation.
For more information, about Wendy's High School Heisman, visit www.wendysheisman.com.
About Wendy's High School Heisman
Wendy's High School Heisman was created by Wendy's founder Dave Thomas in 1994. Dave Thomas dropped out of high school when he was 15 years old in order to work full-time and went on to become one of the most successful entrepreneurs in history. While this nontraditional path led to his prosperity, it always worried Dave that others would follow in his footsteps and expect to achieve similar fame and wealth by not finishing high school or attending college.
Faced with this dilemma, at 61 years old, Dave enrolled at Coconut Creek High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and received his General Equivalency Diploma (GED). Inspired by this moment and with a desire to celebrate the outstanding achievements of youth in America, he launched the Wendy's High School Heisman program.
Twenty-two years later, Wendy's High School Heisman has honored more than 600,000 of the nation's most esteemed high school seniors who share Wendy's values of giving back to their communities, treating people with respect, continuing education and excelling on the athletic field.
Wendy's High School Heisman is a joint program between Wendy's and the Heisman Trophy Trust, host and custodians of the Heisman Memorial Trophy®.
The Wendy's Company (NASDAQ: WEN) is the world's third largest quick-service hamburger restaurant chain. The Wendy's system includes more than 6,500 restaurants in 29 countries and U.S. territories. For more information, visit www.wendys.com.
The Wendy's name and design and the Wendy's High School Heisman and design are trademarks of Quality Is Our Recipe, LLC. The Heisman Memorial Trophy, Heisman name and Heisman Trophy figure are registered trademarks of the Heisman Trophy Trust, used with permission.
SOURCE The Wendy's Company
Ketchum Public Relations
(404) 879 - 9292