National Tortilla Day: Costa Vida Encourages Diners to "Viva la Tortilla!" on June 5
National Fresh & Fast Casual Chain Celebrates with Free Tortillas and Discounted Pork Burritos
SALT LAKE CITY, UT - (Marketwired - May 31, 2017) - Costa Vida is celebrating National Tortilla Day on June 5, 2017 and encouraging diners to "Viva la tortilla!" with free, fresh tortillas and their famous smothered sweet pork burrito at a discount. This year marks the second official National Tortilla Day as the Utah-based national chain declared the holiday on June 4, 2016 to pay homage to the anniversary of the opening of their first franchise location opening on the same date in 2003. The holiday is observed yearly on the first Monday following Memorial Day weekend.
"At Costa Vida, we consider the tortilla to be the vital cornerstone of our cuisine, so we pride ourselves on offering the freshest, from-scratch tortillas available every day," said Dave Rutter, president and CEO, Costa Vida Fresh Mexican Grill. "We are excited to offer our customers delicious hand-crafted tortillas that pay homage to the tortilla artistry found in Jalisco, Mexico on National Tortilla Day and beyond."
In honor of National Tortilla Day, Costa Vida locations across the country will be offering free tortillas throughout the day, as well as a promotion for a signature discounted smothered pork burrito entrée, the chain's signature dish. Tortilla lovers can take advantage of the promotion at their local Costa Vida location and on Costa Vida social media on June 5.
"Tortillas are a staple of authentic Mexican cuisine and the essential element of many of our dishes," Rutter continued. "Costa Vida is proud to offer each guest a chance to experience fresh, authentic Mexican taste across the United States."
The chain, known for its vibrant and innovative Mexican cuisine, offers from-scratch tortillas in flour, whole wheat, and gluten-friendly corn. Costa Vida makes up to 200,000 tortillas per day, all made in-house and always guaranteed to be less than fifteen minutes old. Other fun tortilla facts include:
- Costa Vida uses over 2,000,000 pounds of all-purpose flour and 100,000 pounds of corn masa to create their perfect, from-scratch tortillas each year.
- The word tortilla comes from the Spanish word "torta," which means round cake.
- According to Mayan legend, tortillas were invented by a peasant for his hungry king in ancient times.*
- The first tortillas, which date approximately 10,000 years BC, were made of native corn.
- Among native Mexicans, tortillas are also commonly used as eating utensils.
- In the Old West, "cowpokes" realized the versatility of tortillas and used tortillas filled with meat or other foods as a convenient way to eat around the campfire.
- Tortillas are the most popular "ethnic bread" in the U.S., beating out bagels, English muffins and pita bread.
- According to the Tortilla Industry Association, Americans consume 85 billion tortillas per year (2000)
Source: Tortilla Industry Association
In addition to flavorful tortillas, Costa Vida offers a variety of custom, made-to-order items such as burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, salads and nachos.
To find your nearest Costa Vida location, visit http://www.costavida.com/locations/. Discounts on smothered pork burritos may vary by location.
About Costa Vida
Costa Vida is a fast-casual restaurant inspired by the fresh tasting foods and vibrant lifestyle from the coast of Mexico. Costa Vida's food is created every day from scratch using quality ingredients. The menu offers a variety of custom, made-to-order items such as burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, salads and nachos. Protein choices include sweet pork, grilled chicken, shredded beef, raspberry chipotle chicken, grilled steak and shrimp. As a growing and successful brand, Costa Vida offers exciting and vibrant franchise business opportunities. For more information, visit www.costavida.net.
Molly Antos Morey
SOURCE Costa Vida
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances