Electricians Give Expert Advice to Prepare for Hurricane Irma
HOUSTON - Sept. 7, 2017 // PRNewswire // - Expert electricians at Mister Sparky ® electric, a national brand with independently owned and operated locations throughout North America, recommends homeowners follow these quick tips as Hurricane Irma approaches the East Coast. Licensed expert electricians are available for interviews locally to talk about these tips and more:
Preparing for the Hurricane:
- Make sure flashlights, battery powered lanterns and other sources of light are readily available; make sure flashlights and radio batteries are fresh.
- Have an adequate supply of medicine, first aid supplies, and baby items.
- Keep at least two weeks supply of bottled water, non-perishable food items and batteries
- If prescriptions are essential, get them refilled in case of an extended power outage or extensive damage to the area.
- Make sure to have identification and documentation on hand such as social security card, driver's license, birth certificate, and insurance information for your home, car, and life.
- Have an evacuation plan for yourself and your family in case of an extended power outage.
During the Hurricane:
- Make sure to get inside a building and stay away from the windows.
- Don't leave candles unattended and keep them away from the furniture, draperies and other flammable materials.
- Make sure to keep children away from open flames.
- Don't open freezers and refrigerators any more than absolutely necessary.
- Turn off your heating and air conditioning systems as well as electric range.
- Unplug sensitive electronic appliances such as TVs, VCRs, microwave ovens and computers – this will protect your appliances against power fluctuations that can occur when power is restored.
- After power is restored, be sure to wait five to ten minutes before turning on appliances and AC systems.
After the Hurricane:
- If power lines and poles are down in your yard or in the street, always treat them as if they are energized and dangerous. Never touch them and stay away. Make sure to call your local utility company.
- Post-storm debris can hide power lines that have fallen. Fallen trees that contain energized power lines can electrocute any item it comes in contact with, such as a metal fence, a pond or standing water. Even the ground can be energized near fallen power lines.
- If your electricity is out make sure to check with neighbors to see if they have power. If they do have power, you may have only a blown fuse or a tripped breaker. Never replace a fuse or reset a circuit breaker with wet hands or while standing on a wet (or damp) surface.
- If you're without electricity and want to use a portable generator, make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area - preferably outside
- Avoid using candles if possible. If you must, never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Replenish your supplies of batteries, bottle water, & non-perishable food items for future hurricanes.
Mister Sparky was recently ranked No. 1 in the Electric services category in Entrepreneur magazine's Franchise 500 list. For more details about Mister Sparky, visit MisterSparky.com. We're happy to answer any questions you have regarding your electrical system and appliances to help ensure your home is safe.
About Mister Sparky®
Mister Sparky® electric is currently ranked by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 500 franchise companies (#175) and ranked #1 franchise in the Electrical Services category since 2014. The company has an impeccable record for delivering fast, on-time service, accurate upfront pricing, and an overall pleasant experience for customers. We differentiate ourselves from all other electrical companies by our unique message to the marketplace: Mister Sparky – America's On-Time Electrician®, We're On Time, You'll See, Or The Repair Is Free!®. We have trademarked "on-time" in the electrical industry and we champion it in the marketplace. Mister Sparky is part of the Direct Energy family of brands.
© 2017 Clockwork IP, LLC
SOURCE Mister Sparky