Woodcraft Celebrates 90 Years as a National Woodworking Retailer
Woodcraft Supply is celebrating 90 years as a major woodworking industry retailer with 76 retail stores in 35 states, including Hawaii.
PARKERSBURG, W. VA. (PRWEB) February 08, 2018 - For nine decades, as technology took woodworking tools from the earliest circular saws to computer-aided machines, Woodcraft has supplied woodworkers and do-it-yourselfers with quality tools, supplies, and educational opportunities.
“Woodcraft is pleased to be celebrating its 90th retail birthday,” president Jody Garrett said, “and exceeding customers’ expectations - a Woodcraft corporate value - will continue to be the focus of our day-to-day operations.”
In 1928 when Calvin Coolidge was president and the manufacture of woodworking tools was just beginning, George Eaton and Richard Merrill opened Woodcraft in a one-room shop in Boston, Massachusetts. They began their business life by selling new and rebuilt industrial woodworking machinery to professional cabinetmakers and to schools.
Fifteen presidents later, Woodcraft Supply, LLC, is one of the nation’s oldest and largest suppliers of quality woodworking tools, supplies, and plans. Now based in Parkersburg, West Virginia, the company’s more than 20,000 products are sold at retail stores in over 70 major metropolitan areas across the U.S., through two million catalogs distributed annually in all 50 states and 117 countries, and online at woodcraft.com.
“Woodcraft wants to sell products, but it also desires to help customers improve their woodworking skills and experiences,” Jack Bigger, vice president for sales and marketing, said. “To that end, woodworking classes are offered at retail stores, woodcraft.com offers how-to videos, blogs and articles, and ‘Woodcraft Magazine’ provides new project and technique articles six times a year. Woodcraft also supports ‘The American Woodshop’ with co-hosts Scott and Suzy Phillips on PBS and other woodworking personalities who provide educational content on traditional, online and social media channels.”
- 1962: Roger Wells bought Woodcraft and in 1968 moved it to Woburn, Massachusetts.
- 1976-78: Woodcraft commissioned the famous artist Armand LaMontagne to do a life-sized sculpture of the Native American Indian used in its corporate logo and registered tagline, “The First American Woodworker.” It was first exhibited in1978 for Woodcraft’s 50th anniversary.
- 1987/88: Sam Ross of Parkersburg, West Virginia, founder of SBR, Inc., who was an avid woodworker and a loyal Woodcraft customer, bought Woodcraft and began expanding operations by opening new stores.
- 1989: The warehouse merchandise distribution and customer service operations were relocated to Parkersburg.
- 1992: Corporate offices were moved to Parkersburg.
- 1996: Woodcraft.com was launched, making Woodcraft one of the first woodworking companies to operate on the Internet.
- 1997: The first franchise store opened in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- 2003: Woodcraft celebrated its 75th anniversary.
- 2004: Woodcraft launched “Woodcraft Magazine.”
- 2008/2009: Woodcraft launched three new strategic brands: Pinnacle®, HIGHPOINT®, and WoodRiver®.
- 2012: Woodcraft acquired Japan Woodworker, a primarily Internet-based high quality Japanese hand tool company.
- 2017: Woodcraft’s 20-year-old Franchise Program was featured in “Franchising Today.”
- 2018: Woodcraft began its 90th year with 76 retail stores in 35 states, including Hawaii.
For more about Woodcraft’s history: https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/woodcraft-celebrates-90-years.
To learn more about Woodcraft, please contact the store nearest you, visit http://www.woodcraft.com or call (800) 535-4482. To learn about Woodcraft franchise opportunities, visit http://www.woodcraftfranchise.com or email email@example.com. Customers can follow Woodcraft on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest and Woodworking Adventures, the company blog.
Woodcraft Supply LLC
+1 (304) 865-4107 Ext: 2107
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances