Thanksgiving Weekend: Food, Football, Shopping and Plumbing Disasters
"Black Friday" is among the busiest holidays for plumbers; find out what you can do to protect your house and avoid common plumbing mishaps
HOUSTON - Nov. 13, 2018 // PRNewswire // - There are many reasons why people look forward to Thanksgiving weekend, but what many home owners don't expect - or prepare for - is a plumbing disaster. Yet, this season is prone to plumbing mishaps, and it's one of the busiest holidays of the year for plumbers.
According to Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® professionals, extra pressure is put on home plumbing systems on Thanksgiving. With day-long meal prep and additional house guests, it's easy for the wrong items to go down the drain and disposal.
Follow these simple tips to set yourself up for success and avoid common mistakes that can put a damper on your holiday:
- Your sink can't handle everything. Fats, bones and vegetable peels can clog drains and damage the disposal. When fats and grease cool, put them into a disposable container and throw it in the trash. If you have a compost pile, that's a good place for peels. Anything that you can hold in your hand, throw it out instead.
- Holiday cooking can strain your garbage disposal. Know how to properly use it! Always run the water when using a garbage disposal. If your disposal becomes clogged, turn it off, and shut off the water. Don't reach into a disposal, and never, ever use harsh chemicals to treat a clog. Like other kitchen appliances, disposals can use tune-ups, too.
- Think outside of the kitchen. Be mindful of the plumbing use in other areas of the home.Holidays guests can require more loads of laundry. Poor water quality and age can lead to breakdowns in the washer hose, which can lead to massive water leaks. Getting your hose inspected will save you from water damage from a defective hose.
- Avoid the messiest of all plumbing disasters by understanding what can and cannot be flushed. The amount of people in a normal household easily triples on Thanksgiving Day. This means triple the amount of trips to the bathroom, which strains the integrity of your home's plumbing system. Remind your guests what can and can't be flushed, and inform them of any plumbing issues you are already aware of. Meaning, if you need to jiggle the toilet handle to get it to flush, spread the word.
- Preventative maintenance can save you a holiday headache. If it's been a while since you've had a plumbing inspection, now may be a good time to call a trusted plumbing professional. They can spot potential trouble areas and prepare your home for the holiday influx. They can also help winterize your plumbing system for the colder weather to come. Cold temperatures can put more stress on your pipes, drains, outdoor hose bibs and water heaters.
For more holiday-related plumbing information and tips, contact the Benjamin Franklin Plumbing location in your area. To find the location nearest you, visit www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com.
About Benjamin Franklin Plumbing®
The Benjamin Franklin Plumbing brand is part of the Direct Energy family and is currently ranked by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the leading plumbing franchises (Franchise 500, January 2017.) Our trusted plumbing professionals offer customers on-time plumbing services, replacement and repairs. Franchised locations are independently owned and operated businesses.
©2018 Clockwork IP, LLC
About Direct Energy
Direct Energy is one of North America's largest retail providers of electricity, natural gas, and home and business energy-related services with over four million customers. Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), an international energy and services company, Direct Energy, its subsidiaries and/or affiliates, operate in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 4 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
©2017 Clockwork IP, LLC
SOURCE Benjamin Franklin Plumbing