Making Father’s Day One to Remember: Tips for Celebrating from a Distance
Home Instead Senior Care shares simple ways to show appreciation for the father figures in your life.
OMAHA, NEB. (PRWEB) June 17, 2020 - Father’s Day is an opportunity to express gratitude to all the amazing fathers and grandfathers who have helped raise, support and care for us. During a time when we’re forced to create social distance between the ones we love, many older adults are feeling more isolated than ever.
“These past few months have been particularly difficult for many older adults, especially those who live alone,” said Lakelyn Hogan, gerontologist and caregiver advocate at Home Instead Senior Care. “Feelings of disappointment and nostalgia are perfectly natural as we’re reminded of what’s been lost or changed. But, with a little creativity, we can still find joy this Father’s Day and celebrate loved ones while staying safe.”
While many of us are unable to celebrate in-person with our families that doesn’t mean we can’t honor the holiday in other special ways. Hogan recommends the following ideas for making the most of your time together:
- Fire up the grill for a delicious meal. Your favorite BBQ spot may not be open right now, but a backyard grill session could still be an option to make the day memorable. Deliver all his favorite fixings to his doorstep and share the meal on video or plan a socially distanced get-together. If you’re unable to be together, consider cooking the same meal from your own kitchens over video chat.
- Decorate the sidewalk or spruce up his front door. Make a pit stop at your father’s sidewalk or driveway to share heartfelt messages or artwork in chalk. Covering his front door with pictures or notes is another simple way to show appreciation. If dad lives in a long-term care facility, consider bringing decor to the facility, or use window paint to jazz up an outside window.
- Take a trip down memory lane. Now is the perfect time to learn more about the ones you love most. Set aside some time to give your father or grandfather a call and ask him questions about his life. You could bond over a shared love of music or reminisce on favorite travels. Get creative and take time to listen to the stories of the most important men in your life.
- Shop local for this year’s gift. Local businesses need support from their communities more than ever. Consider a personal token, such as custom sports memorabilia, hand-crafted woodwork or grillware. Or, send over a sweet treat and his favorite local brew.
- Explore the outdoors together (virtually). While you might not be able to board a plane, many national parks are making it easy to enjoy the great outdoors without leaving home. Whether it’s taking a virtual hike together through Bryce Canyon or watching the Old Faithful erupt at Yellowstone, you can celebrate the day using free virtual tours online.
While holidays look a little different this year for families around the world, there are still plenty of ways to get creative and make this June 21 one to remember.
About Home Instead Senior Care®
Founded in 1994 in Omaha, Nebraska, the Home Instead Senior Care® franchise network provides personalized care, support and education to enhance the lives of aging adults and their families. Today, the network is the world's leading provider of in-home care services for seniors, with more than 1,200 independently owned and operated franchises that provide more than 80 million hours of care annually throughout the United States and 13 other countries. Local Home Instead Senior Care offices employ approximately 90,000 CAREGivers? worldwide who provide basic support services that enable seniors to live safely and comfortably in their own homes for as long as possible. Home Instead Senior Care franchise owners partner with clients and their family members to help meet varied individual needs. Services span the care continuum – from providing personal care to specialized Alzheimer’s care and hospice support.
SOURCE Home Instead Senior Care®
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances
- Business Services
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Financial Services
- Franchise Consultants
- Health and Wellness
- Home Services
- Senior Care
- Service Brands
- Small Business