Canopy by Hilton Says Hello to Portland, Maine
Canopy Portland Waterfront - located in the heart of Portland, Maine’s Old Port Neighborhood - is Hilton’s first lifestyle hotel in New England
July 02, 2021 // Franchising.com // PORTLAND, ME and MCLEAN, Va. - Hilton (NYSE: HLT) announced the opening of Canopy by Hilton Portland Waterfront, the first Hilton lifestyle hotel to open in the New England region. Located on the corner of Center and Commercial Streets in the Old Port neighborhood, the waterfront hotel is owned and managed by Fathom Companies.
The property is home to Luna, the first indoor/outdoor rooftop bar overlooking Casco Bay, and Salt Yard, a café and restaurant that pays homage to Portland’s pottery history and Old Port building icon, E. Swasey & Co.
“We are proud to provide an energizing, inviting place for both visitors and our local community,” said Ginny Petrovek, general manager, Canopy Portland Waterfront. “We’re also excited to share a new, unique Portland experience just as summer kicks off. As downtown activities get into full swing, guests and locals alike can truly feel this neighborhood’s energy from Canopy Portland Waterfront - an especially enjoyable experience with a refreshment in hand on the rooftop at Luna!”
Canopy Portland Waterfront is home to 135 guestrooms, all of which are designed for ease and comfort by architect and design agencies Baskervill and HKS. Portland-based interior design firm Ealain Studios created a memorable experience that highlights local touchpoints.
“We’re thrilled to continue to expand the Canopy footprint in the U.S., with our first lifestyle hotel in Maine and the New England region,” said Harald Han, director of brand management, Canopy by Hilton. “We look forward to welcoming guests to Canopy Portland Waterfront, which was created as a natural extension of the neighborhood to help visitors relax, recharge and experience the city like a local.”
Eat. Drink. Smile.
Luna Rooftop Bar brings new meaning to “point of view” with its sixth-floor waterfront panoramas over Commercial Street to the South Portland bridge. Add in the lighting, music, salty air and alluring starry night vibes, Luna is perfect for after-work get-togethers or starlit date nights. Cocktails with a playful nod to constellations, a raw bar and snack menu with Maine classics like Crab Roll, Lobster Roll, New England Clam Dip and modern twists on Red Snapper Corn Dogs and Duck Wings, along with a sweets menu that features light and irresistible Ricotta Lavender Fritters - Luna is destined to be a beacon for Portland gatherings.
Salt Yard Café + Bar, whose name gives a nod to the famous salt-glazed earthenware that was made in the E. Swasey Pottery building next door, was designed with today’s Portland residents and guests in mind. This street-level eatery has floor-to-ceiling windows for easy people-watching and features expert coffee, barista-made beverages, grab-and-go breakfast and lunch options. Its dinner fare puts a fun twist on traditional favorites like New England Fish Chowder and Masala Baked Beans. The menu is notably simple and fresh with plant-forward options like Honey Ginger Cauliflower, Roasted Mushroom Salad and Sweet Potato Bravas for small plates, and choices of flatbreads or pastas for main courses that feature seafood, meats and vegetables.
Locally Inspired Design
The Canopy Portland Waterfront team is proud to support local businesses, while also providing an authentic, hyperlocal experience for visitors.
Art curator and advisor Erin Hutton, founder of Erin Hutton Projects, assembled photography, pottery, ceramics, woodwork, fabric textiles and other works from the Maine community. The hotel features unique art from more than 20 Portland-area creators. Contributors include:
- Ryan Adams, a painter and muralist, created a bold, brightly colored geometric “Positively Yours” wall mural for the team members’ lounge
- Jasmine Clayton, a leather artist, made a felt and leather piece for Luna that is found across from the bar, as well as the flower lapel pins worn by the Welcome team
- Matt Hutton, a furniture maker and designer, made custom furniture and carpet designs for the property, including the reception desk
- Adrian King, a potter/ceramicist, designed kitchenware for the Salt Yard café
- Jenny McGee Dougherty, a visual artist and designer, created eight custom framed artworks for the meeting rooms
- Karina Steele, a sculpture artist specializing in large scale, one-of-a-kind pieces for commercial spaces, created a wall-sized installation for Salt Yard Café + Bar made of hundreds of bent ash wood, dyed in indigo dye. The placement and design emphasize the coast of Maine's rugged coastline and natural materials.
- Nicole Wolf, a photographer has three framed photographs of water splashing from a moving boat off the coast of Maine on display in the hotel lobby
Additional local companies and small businesses that Canopy Portland Waterfront is proud to partner with include Rwanda Bean Coffee, Abura Skincare, AngelRox/Suger, Cuddledown, Evangeline Linen, Emmy + Olly, Huston & Company, I Before E Design, La Maree Art, L.L. Bean, Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland and Might & Main.
We’ve Got You Covered
Whether exploring the neighborhood or recharging in their room, Canopy Portland Waterfront guests enjoy authentic experiences and amenities both inside and outside the hotel, such as:
- Signature Canopy beds outfitted with Cuddledown bedding and Evangeline Linen blankets
- A retail shop featuring curated products from Maine artisans and makers
- Mobile check-in and complimentary Wi-Fi
- A welcome gift upon arrival and coffee each morning at Salt Yard
- Over 3,000 square feet of meeting space
- Complimentary Canopy Bikes for exploring the city
- A 24-hour fitness center featuring Peloton bikes and Technogym equipment
- Wellness Suites that include Peloton bikes and strength training in select guest rooms
- A pet-friendly program, Canopy’s Paws in the Neighborhood, which provides a pup-friendly guide to Portland, as well as special dog treats and a Just-Right L.L. Bean dog bed for those traveling with their four-legged family members
Canopy by Hilton Portland Waterfront is part of Hilton Honors, the award-winning guest-loyalty program for Hilton's 18 distinct hotel brands. Members who book directly have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount, free standard Wi-Fi and access to the industry-leading Hilton Honors mobile app.
SOURCE Canopy by Hilton
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances