Don't Flush Your Money Down the Drain
March 12, 2009 // Franchising.com // Vancouver, BC -Today's economy makes it increasingly necessary to cut back where you can. A simple step homeowners can take is not flushing their money away on unnecessary water waste in their homes. "Preventative care goes a long way to help avoid future costly problems", said Mary Kennedy Thompson, president of Mr. Rooter Corporation. "It can help homeowners not only conserve water for the environment but on water bills as well." If you fear you're wasting more water than you should, take a look at these plumbing tips from Mr. Rooter service professionals:
- Turn off the tap while brushing teeth or shaving and this will save 4 to 11 Litres per day.
- Don't use the toilet as a garbage can. Put tissue into the trash.
- Don't take long showers. Limiting them to five minutes can save 11 to 26 Litres per shower.
- Check and repair leaky fixtures and toilets that run. This can save hundreds of dollars per year.
- Get a plumbing check-up to ensure water is not being wasted through minor leaks.
- Repair dripping faucets. One drip per second can waste up to 10,000 Litres per year.
- Use excess water for watering plants, or for cleaning around the house instead of pouring it out.
- Only turn on dishwasher and washing machine with full loads.
- Choose water-efficient and energy saving plumbing fixtures and appliances.
- Water lawns and gardens in the morning so the water can be absorbed before it is evaporated by the heat.
Many of these tips can be accomplished with little effort. For those who aren't do-it-yourselfers or if the problem is too complicated to fix, be sure to contact a qualified service professional. About Mr. Rooter®: Established in 1970, Mr. Rooter is a full-service plumbing and drain cleaning company with approximately 300 franchises worldwide. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500" and Franchise Times Top 200, Mr. Rooter franchisees provide services to both residential and commercial customers. Mr. Rooter began franchising in 1974 and is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc.