Arby's(R) Expands With Development Agreements For 47 New Locations In The U.s. And Canada
August 19, 2009 // Franchising.com // ATLANTA – Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc., a subsidiary of Wendy's/Arby's Group, Inc. (NYSE: WEN), announced today that it has signed agreements in the first half of 2009 with 11 new and seven existing franchisees for the development of 47 new Arby's restaurants in the U.S. and Canada.
"The crave for Arby's slow roasted, freshly sliced roast beef and other premium, one-ofa- kind menu items keeps growing, which is why we continue to expand to reach as many of our hungry customers as possible," said Tom Garrett, President & CEO, Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc.
During the first quarter of 2009, Arby's signed development agreements with the following existing franchisees:
- Mike Melenchuk – Mike Melenchuk, a franchisee with one Arby's restaurant in Nova Scotia, has signed a development agreement to open 11 more Arby's throughout Canada
- Michael Brandy – A franchisee with Arby's since 1988, Michael Brandy currently owns and operates four restaurants in Ohio and Kentucky. Brandy has signed on to open three additional Arby's restaurants in Kenton, Kentucky.
- Abdul Malik Hashim – Abdul Malik Hashim, who currently operates two Arby's restaurants in Los Angeles, has signed a development agreement to open two more in Houston, Texas
- Love's Country Stores – An Arby's franchisee for 10 years, Love's Country Stores operates 36 Arby's restaurants in 19 states. Love's has signed a development agreement amendment to add two more Arby's in South Carolina and Texas.
- J & J Ostrowski Enterprises -- Jeremy and Jennifer Ostrowski, a brother and sister team, have been a part of the Arby's system since 1987. The Ostrowskis currently own and operate 13 Arby's restaurants in Michigan and Wisconsin and have signed a development agreement to add one more in Michigan.
- John Nickle – Franchisee John Nickle currently operates two restaurants in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada and has signed on to open one more in Red Deer, Alberta
- Michael Schiappa – Michael Schiappa of Schiappa Restaurants, Inc., an Arby's operator with four restaurants in the Buffalo, New York market, has signed an agreement for the development of one additional Arby's in Depew, New York
Arby's is pleased to welcome the following new franchisees, who recently signed development agreements:
- Mourad Elayan – New franchisee, Mourad Elayan, has signed an agreement to open seven Arby's restaurants throughout New Jersey
- James Hickey – Signed an agreement to open five restaurants in Honolulu, Hawaii
- Shamsuddin Panjwani – Has signed a commitment to open three Arby's in Texas
- Mandhir Dhillon – Signed an agreement to open two Arby's in Ontario, Canada
- Rajiv Johar – Has agreed to build two Arby's restaurants in Kentucky
- Gregory Parish – Has agreed to open two Arby's restaurants in Colorado
- Kaushik Patel – Kaushik Patel is a new Arby's operator who has agreed to open one Arby's in Pennsville, New Jersey
- Nick Menley – Has agreed to open one Arby's in Colorado
- Chetan Parikh and Raju Shah – Have signed a development agreement to construct one Arby's restaurant in Texas
- Scott Stewart – Has signed an agreement to open one Arby's restaurant in Simi Valley, California
- Dalal Taouk – Has agreed to open one restaurant in Westbank, British Columbia in Canada
About Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc.
Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc., based in Atlanta, is the second largest quick-service sandwich chain in the U.S. with more than 3,700 system-wide restaurants. Founded in 1964, Arby's quick service restaurants specialize in slow roasted and freshly sliced roast beef sandwiches as well as Market Fresh® deli-style sandwiches, toasted subs, and salads, all with the convenience of a drive-thru. Arby's offers guests a unique, great tasting alternative to traditional fast food with its one-of-a-kind menu items including the Beef 'n Cheddar, Curly Fries and Jamocha shakes. Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. is a subsidiary of Wendy's/Arby's Group, Inc. (NYSE: WEN).
Cautionary Statement: Arby's franchisees are independent third parties that Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. does not control. Numerous factors beyond the control of Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. and its franchisees may affect new restaurant openings. Accordingly, there can be no assurance that the commitments under the development agreements described in this press release will result in new restaurant openings.