Jersey Mike's Subs Tees It Up For New Season With Dennis Walters Golf Show
Kids Learn Golf and Life Lessons
April 15, 2011 // Franchising.com // MANASQUAN, N.J. – Jersey Mike's Subs will again drive the message of hope to thousands of underprivileged children throughout the country this spring and summer, as it has for more than a decade. Partnering with inspirational golf phenomenon Dennis Walters, The First Tee Foundation and other golf organizations at 14 different events, Jersey Mike's will serve nutritious subs and encourage kids from coast to coast to overcome obstacles and reach for their dreams.
The first of the events takes place in Phoenix on Monday, April 18. Walters, who became a trick-shot golfer after an accident left him paralyzed from the waist down, will share his motivational story with more than 200 kids in need at the First Tee of Phoenix. (See below for full event schedule).
"We first partnered with Dennis more than 10 years ago and we are proud to bring his inspiring show to more and more cities each year," said Peter Cancro, Jersey Mike's founder and CEO. "It is our mission at Jersey Mike's to make a difference in someone's life and by partnering with Dennis and great organizations like First Tee, we have the opportunity to help motivate and inspire kids to believe in themselves so they can fulfill their dreams."
During the tour, Walters shares his personal story and the challenges he's had to overcome, inspiring the kids with life lessons as he wows them with some of golf's most amazing shots. He is joined by his popular canine caddie, Bucky. In 2008, Walters was presented the PGA Distinguished Service Award.
"If there is something you really want to do – no matter how impossible it may seem – with enough hard work and perseverance you can do it," said Walters.
- April 18, PHOENIX: Longbow Golf Club, Partner: First Tee of Phoenix
- April 22, CHARLOTTE, N.C.: Revolution Park, Partner: First Tee of Charlotte
- April 30, ATLANTA: John A. White Golf Club, Partner: First Tee of Atlanta
- May 11, BOCA RATON, Fla.: Osprey Point, Partner: South Florida PGA
- July 19, LAKEWOOD, N.J.: John F. Patrick Sports Complex, Partner: First Tee of Monmouth County
- July 22, CHICAGO: Jackson Park Driving Range, Partner: First Tee of Chicago
- July 28, LOS ANGELES: Whittier Narrows Golf Course, Partner: First Tee of Los Angeles
- August 3, CINCINNATI: Reeves Golf Club, Partner: First Tee of Greater Cincinnati & North Kentucky
- August 6, COLUMBUS, OH: Bridgeview Golf Course, Partner: First Tee of Columbus
- August 28, RALEIGH, N.C.: Lonnie Poole Golf Club, Partner: V Foundation for Cancer Research
- October 22, ORLANDO, FL: Children's Miracle Network Classic at Walt Disney World, Partner: Children's Miracle Network
- Other markets being scheduled include Dallas, Nashville, and San Diego
Cancro founded Jersey Mike's when he was just 17 years old and he credits an important mentor, his football coach, for believing in him and supporting his dreams. Jersey Mike's celebrates its 55th anniversary this year and in March, to celebrate, raised more than $600,000 for various charities nationwide during its Month of Giving initiative. The company remains committed to making a difference in the communities it serves.
About Jersey Mike's
Jersey Mike's, a sub sandwich franchise with more than 500 stores open and under development nationwide, has a long history of community involvement and support. Started at the Jersey Shore in 1956, Jersey Mike's serves authentic Northeast-style subs on fresh baked bread – the same recipe it started with over 50 years ago. The company's mission is to bring its customers the highest quality, freshest made sub in the industry and give back to the communities in which it operates. A store locator and franchise information for Jersey Mike's can be found at www.jerseymikes.com.
About The First Tee
The First Tee (www.thefirsttee.org) was founded to give young people of all backgrounds an opportunity to develop, through golf and character education, life-enhancing values such as honesty, integrity and sportsmanship. Together, with the help of other likeminded organizations, they hope to pass on the legacy of life lessons learned through sports.