Style and Safety Combine in Child-Safe Window Coverings
ORANGE, CA - (Marketwired - Aug 20, 2013) - Since the Window Covering Manufacturers Associations' new safety standards for window coverings went into effect earlier this year, Budget Blinds has continued to work with their manufacturers to ensure that all their window coverings meet and exceed these standards. In the spirit of Child Safety Awareness month happening in September, Budget Blinds is excited to share child-friendly window coverings that meet the national safety standards without sacrificing the beauty of the home. These adjustments and window covering options can be applied to every room in every home to make it a secure space for your children and a beautiful and enjoyable place to live.
For all homes there are certain safety adjustments that can be made to every window to make them more child-safe. These adjustments are simple changes that any family can make to improve the security of their home environment.
- Screens should be added in windows that are large enough for a child to fit through, preventing falls.
- Window film can maintain the integrity of a window during a natural disaster, like an earthquake, preventing it from shattering and scattering dangerous shards.
- Windows that currently have cords can be adjusted to prevent cord-related strangulation with cord cleats and breakaway tassels.
In The Bedrooms
Since children spend much of their unsupervised time in their bedrooms, especially during the night, these rooms pose perhaps the greatest threat to the safety of your children. Beds should be positioned against windowless walls and items that could be considered as "hidden stepstools" should be kept away from walls with windows as well.* These adjustments should be made in all bedrooms the children have access to.
Kids Bedroom Window Styling Options:
- Cordless window coverings, especially cordless cellular shades, are an excellent option for kids' rooms. These child-safe window coverings are soft and flexible and can be easily raised and lowered with one hand.
- Creative Shades are a customizable option for kids' rooms, allowing your child to personalize the appearance of their shades, while also including the safer cordless component.
In The Living Room/ Family Room
Though a child's bedroom may be the most obvious opportunity for cord strangulation, communal rooms pose frequent threats as well. Again, furniture that can serve as a stool for children to reach window cords should be moved away from the walls.
Living Room Window Treatment Ideas:
- For more formal rooms, valances offer style tailored to your décor without any parts or pieces accessible to children.
- Motorized shades provide safe, cordless alternatives to corded blinds and give you easy access to all your shades without damaging them.
- In high-traffic family rooms, wood shutters provide a sturdy and attractive alternative to blinds.
In The Kitchen
Though high counters should seem like effective barriers for preventing small children from reaching cord pulls, highchairs, step stools, dining room chairs and even low shelving can give youngsters the ability to reach window cords.
Kitchen Window Treatment Options:
- As in the family room, shutters, especially composite shutters, provide a durable alternative to regular blinds. Composite shutters are easy to clean, stand up well to humidity and resist wear.
- If you choose vertical blinds for sliding glass doors, continuous-loop pull cords can be anchored to the ground or wall so the cords are taut. You can also choose to motorize the blinds, which helps with cooking as well.
In addition to possible strangulation, there are a great many other hazards for young children in kitchens including:
- Open dishwashers (which contain pointed items like knives and forks and dangerous substances like detergents)
- Cleaning products and other hazardous materials stored in floor level cabinets
- Unattended cooking tools on countertops including cooking utensils, coffee pots, and cutting boards
For more information about these and more child-safe window covering options, visit theBudget Blinds website and help to make your home a safe place for everyone in your family.
About Budget Blinds
Based in Orange, California, Budget Blinds was founded in 1992 and currently boasts over 800 franchise territories serving nearly 4,000 cities throughout the United States and Canada. The company offers customers a full line of quality window coverings and provides free in-home consultations as well as measuring and installation services. Budget Blinds has been recognized as a leader in the franchise industry by organizations such as Entrepreneur, AllBusiness, Inc. and Franchise Business Review. With a strong vendor alliance program and growing product portfolio, Budget Blinds is the clear franchising leader in the multi-billion dollar window coverings market.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances