American Leak Detection Offers Tips On Preventing And Detecting Wasteful Water Leaks
Water Leaks Can Derail Water Conservation Efforts
March 06, 2008 // Franchising.com // Atlanta, Georgia - American Leak Detection (ALD) advises local residents to be "leak savvy" as water restrictions and conservation efforts continue. For instance, a leak the size of a pinhead can waste 360,000 gallons of water per year, enough to fill 12,000 bathtubs to the overflow mark. A leaking toilet can use 90,000 gallons of water in 30 days. And, approximately one in every 318 homes or buildings has a leak.
These are just some of the eye-opening leak statistics important for residents, merchants and municipalities to be aware of as local water resources become more precious. With counties required to cut water usage 10%, it's more important than ever for wasteful and unnecessary water leaks to be checked, repaired and prevented.
"Leak detection is a critical component in water conservation efforts," says Bill Dischinger, owner of an American Leak Detection franchise in Atlanta. "No matter how attentive we are in cutting back on water use, if there are leaks, efforts will be less effective than they could be."
American Leak Detection operates a network of highly trained leak specialists in eight countries who specialize in the accurate, non-destructive detection of hidden water, sewer and other leaks. Using proprietary equipment and methods, leaks are located without destroying walls or digging holes thereby avoiding unnecessary property and other damage. Since 1974, ALD has found more than 4 million leaks. Below are tips on Signs and Symptoms of leaks.
SIGNS AND SYMPTONS OF LEAKS:
You may have a plumbing leak if:
- You can hear the continuous sound of water (like a toilet running) when nothing is turned on.
- Your water meter reading changes when you aren't using any water. (Mark the indicator on your meter; don't use any water for an hour; then check the meter. If the indicator moved, you may have a leak.
- Your water bill escalates over a period of weeks or months. (Compare your bills month to month.)
- Your walls or floors have wet, spongy, moist or discolored areas when nothing has been spilled.
- You can smell foul odors coming from floors or walls near drains or sewers. Your building foundation cracks, vegetation grows unevenly or earth shifts for no apparent reason.
- You find warm spots on your floor, particularly on concrete slab floors.
You may have a pool or spa leak if:
- You lose 1/8" of water or more in 24 hours. Perform a Bucket Test (see www.americanleakdetection.com). Evaporation rates vary per area.
- You find algae forming too soon after a chemical treatment.
- You find loose or falling tiles or pool deck cracks. (All are signs that the surrounding ground is being compromised by water.)
- Your pool/spa has settled into the ground or cracks and gaps appear in the pool shell or concrete deck.
- You find standing water, mushy spots, or uneven grass growth around the pool/spa area.
- Your automatic filler is continually releasing water.
These are all symptoms and signs of water leaks. ALD encourages residents and businesses to be mindful of leaks and call for service if necessary. Not only will water conservation efforts improve if leaks are detected and stopped, water bills will be reduced. A typical toilet leak at today's rate can add $500 to a single water bill.
ALD recently received top honors from both the Wall Street Journal and Entrepreneur® Magazine. The Wall Street Journal named American Leak Detection one of the Top 25 Franchise High Performers in the country for being well-established, financially strong and successful in the franchising business. Additionally, for the seventh straight year, American Leak Detection was ranked #1 in its category by Entrepreneur® Magazine in its 29th Annual Franchise 500.
For more information about Signs and Symptons of water leaks, and other water conservation tips, go to www.americanleakdetection.com.
About American Leak Detection
Headquartered in Palm Springs, California, American Leak Detection is the world leader in the accurate, non-destructive detection of all types of leaks including hidden water and sewer leaks. From swimming pool cracks to concealed plumbing systems, the smallest leak is located with the most advanced, sophisticated electronic devices - without bashing holes in walls or digging up the deck and yard. American Leak Detection sets the standard for non-invasive leak detection and repair with proprietary methods and technology. Founded in 1974, it now operates a network of highly trained Original Leak Specialists on six continents. For the last seven years, American Leak Detection has been ranked #1 in Entrepreneur® magazine's "Maintenance Products and Services" franchise sector. For more information on American Leak Detection, call 800.755.6697 or visit www.americanleakdetection.com.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances